As an advisee, it’s your responsibility to:
- Meet with your advisor regularly (usually at least once per semester). Plan ahead for peak registration times. Turn off your cell phone during appointments!
- Seek help from your advisor regarding your academic degree progress and ask questions if something is unclear.
- Actively prepare for advising sessions and bring relevant information and materials to advising sessions. Follow through on recommendations and referrals.
- Be familiar with the policies, procedures and curricular requirements for your chosen program(s) of study. Read the undergraduate catalog and Student Guide to University Policies.
- Use the UDSIS system to register for classes and monitor your academic progress.
- Read email communications from all University offices, including the Lerner Advisement Office.
- Understand that you are ultimately responsible for the academic choices and decisions you make.
Your advisor has the responsibility to:
- Help you develop educational goals consistent with your interests and abilities.
- Provide and explain information related to University policies, procedures and curricular requirements for the Lerner College’s majors and minors.
- Help you monitor your academic progress (via UDSIS, accurate degree requirement check sheets, regular appointments, sophomore degree audit checks, mid-term grade communications during freshman year, senior check-outs, etc.).
- Help you select courses. Explain the UDSIS registration process.
- Keep regular office hours for advising sessions and respond to your emails and phone calls in a timely fashion. (Please allow at least 2 business days for a response to emails and phone calls; longer during peak registration times.)
- Tell you about University resources and special academic opportunities; refer you to other University support offices when appropriate.