Hen Hatch Competition
Registration for 2017 is not yet open.
Two Competitive Tracks
Hen Hatch offers two competitive tracks:
- Student track, open to all undergraduate and graduate students who are enrolled at least half time at the University of Delaware
- Alumni, faculty and staff track, open to all alumni, current or retired faculty and current or retired staff
The 2016 Winners
- $16,800: JADE Biotech – Elizabeth Soulas, Daniel Charytonowicz, John Lowman and Allison Lisberg
This team of students from the College of Engineering created Chroma, a medical diagnostic device that helps deter theft of liquid narcotics in hospitals.
- $13,200: Curing Cube – Farhad Baqi from the Alfred Lerner College of Business and Economics, and Seyar Baqi and Edward Bayley from the College of Arts and Sciences
This team created the Curing Cube, dental equipment that features LED light and cures dental products from all angles quickly, efficiently and without added heat.
- $7,000: Joost Wafel Co. – Joost Elling from the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources
Elling created a food manufacturing and sales business specializing in award-winning Stroopwafels, a Dutch cookie made from caramel sandwiched between two thin, crisp waffle layers. Joost Wafel Co. also won the Audience Choice award.
Alumni, Faculty, Staff Track
- $21,500: Strataca Systems, LLC – John Erbey, 1993 alum from the College of Health Sciences
Erbey, founder and CEO of Strataca, invented JuxtaFlow, a treatment for acute kidney injury.
- $9,000: NERDit NOW – Jonathan Hoxter, 2012 alum from the Lerner College
Hoxter created a mobile repair shop for cell phones, tablets and laptops.
- $5,500: Flip – Chris Lin, 2015 alum from the College of Engineering
Lin pitched the wallet he designed, which he calls the first of its kind. The Flip wallet makes cards and cash more accessible without adding bulk.
Three Rounds to Determine Award Winners
- Preliminary round
Participants submit a 3-5 page written business concept for evaluation by seasoned entrepreneurs, investors, and business consultants.
- Semifinal round
Participants who are judged as having submitted one of the 10 most promising business concepts to the student track and one of the 10 most promising business concepts to the alumni, faculty & staff track present a 7-minute pitch and answer questions from entrepreneurs and investors.
- Final round
Participants who are judged as having submitted one of the 3 most promising business concepts in each track present a 7-minute pitch and answer questions from entrepreneurs and investors in front of a live audience.
|December 2016||Hen Hatch registration opens|
|January 23, 2017||Registration/submission deadline|
|February 20, 2017||Notification of semi-finalists|
|March 10, 2017||Semifinal presentations and selection of finalists in the student track|
|March 18, 2017||Semifinal presentations and selection of finalists in the AFS track|
|May 1, 2017||Final presentations|