Hen Hatch is the University of Delaware’s premier startup funding competition. It provides entrepreneurial students, alumni, faculty, and staff with the opportunity to make connections and collect feedback on their ideas while competing for startup cash and prizes totaling $100,000.
Click the button below to register and submit your written concept.
PLEASE ALLOW up to 30 minutes to complete the registration process. You will need names, email addresses and phone numbers for all team members. In addition,
- Student participants will need the following information for all team members: Student ID#, major(s), minor(s), expected graduation month & year.
- Alumni participants will need majors and graduation years for all team members.
- Faculty and staff participants will need department and title for all team members.
- You will be required to submit a file containing your written concept; you will have an option to submit a logo.
Two Competitive Tracks
Hen Hatch offers two competitive tracks: (1) a student track and (2) an alumni, faculty and staff track. The student track is open to all undergraduate and graduate students who are enrolled at least half time at the University of Delaware. The alumni, faculty and staff track is open to all alumni, current or retired faculty and current or retired staff.
Three Rounds To Determine Award Winners
- Preliminary Round - Participants submit a 3-5 page written business concept for evaluation by seasoned entrepreneurs, investors, and business consultants.
- Semifinal Round - Participants who are judged as having submitted one of the 10 most promising business concepts to the student track and one of the 10 most promising business concepts to the alumni, faculty & staff track present a 7-minute pitch and answer questions from entrepreneurs and investors.
- Final Round - Participants who are judged as having submitted one of the 3 most promising business concepts in each track present a 7-minute pitch and answer questions from entrepreneurs and investors in front of a live audience.
|December 2015||Hen Hatch registration opens|
|January 25, 2016||Registration/submission deadline|
|February 22, 2016||Notification of semi-finalists|
|March 11, 2016||Semifinal presentations and selection of finalists in the student track|
|March 18, 2016||Semifinal presentations and selection of finalists in the AFS track|
|April 25, 2016||Final presentations|
- The Practice Set, led by Keith Doggett and Jordan Gonzalez
- ProjectedU, led by Benjamin Rapkin and Austin Crouse
- GoHappy, led by Elpiniki Apostolaki-Iosifidou
Alumni, Faculty and Staff Track
- SimUCare, led by nursing faculty member Amy Cowperthwait and researcher Amy Bucha
- Art Preservation Index, led by alumna Emily MacDonald-Korth
- GoShare, led by alumnus Shaun Savage
- ShopTutors, (since pivoted to LendEdu) led by Nathaniel Matherson and Matt Lenhard
- Udwell, led by Yael Bloom and Tali Cohen
- Board to Death, led by Chris Melillo and Krista Adams
Alumni, Faculty and Staff Track
- PenguinAds, (now Carvertise) led by Mac Nagaswami
- Jaggery, led by Asmita and Anand Atre
- Grasshopper Talent App, led by Liz Brenner, Nicole McCabe and Deb Stambaugh