Professor of Marketing
218 Alfred Lerner Hall
Newark, DE 19716
Dr. Ajay Manrai is a Professor of Marketing in the Department of Business Administration, Lerner College of Business and Economics at the University of Delaware. He took the editorial responsibilities as the Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Global Marketing (Taylor and Francis) beginning January 1, 2016. Dr. Manrai was the President of the International Management Development Association, IMDA for 2010-12. He received a Fulbright-Nehru grant in the role of a Senior Research Scholar in India during spring 2011. Dr. Manrai completed Ph.D. in Marketing from the Kellogg Graduate School of Management, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, USA. He did Bachelor of Technology in Mechanical Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology, IIT, Delhi, India and MBA from Indian Institute of Management, IIM, Ahmedabad, India. Prior to joining the faculty at the University of Delaware in 1991, he served as a marketing faculty at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. He has published 111 research articles, including papers in reputed Journals, such as, Marketing Science, Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of International Marketing, International Business Review, and Psychometrika among others. His research interests include modeling consumer perceptions and choice, marketing strategies of multinational companies, and cross-cultural and cross-national consumer marketing. Dr. Manrai’s teaching interests include Marketing Management, Marketing Research and International Marketing. He has received many awards, honors, and grants for excellence in research and teaching including the most prestigious University Teaching Award at the University of Delaware and the Best Professor Award in the MBA Program and EMBA Program at the University. He has traveled to nearly 120 countries on all seven continents. He serves as an Associate Editor of the Journal of Modeling in Management (JM2 published by Emerald and housed at the University of Glasgow, UK) and Journal of Economics, Finance and Administrative Science (JEFAS published by Elsevier and housed at ESAN, Peru.) He serves on the editorial boards of several journals including the International Business Review, and Marketing and Psychology.
1986: Ph.D., Northwestern University, Kellogg Graduate School of Management, Marketing.
1976: M.B.A, Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, India, Marketing.
1973: B. Technology, Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi, India, Mechanical Engineering.
Research Area –1 : Modeling and measurement of consumer perceptions, preference, consideration, and choice - papers with conceptual, analytical, and/or methodological orientation
1. Manrai, A.K. and P.K. Sinha (1989), "Elimination-By-Cutoffs," Marketing Science, Volume 8, No. 2, pp. 133-152.
2. LaTour, S. and A.K. Manrai (1989), "Interactive Impact of Informational and Normative Influence on Donations,"
Journal of Marketing Research, Volume 26, pp. 327-335.
3. DeSarbo, W.S., A.K. Manrai, and R. Burke (1990), "A Nonspatial Methodology for the Analysis of Two-Way Proximity Data Incorporating Distance-Density Hypothesis," Psychometrika, Volume 55, No. 2, pp. 229-253.
4. DeSarbo, W.S. and A.K. Manrai (1992), "A New Multidimensional Scaling Methodology for the
Analysis of Asymmetric Proximity Data in Marketing Research," Marketing Science, Volume
11, No. 1, pp. 1-20. Lead Article in the tenth anniversary issue of the Journal.
5. DeSarbo, W.S., M. Johnson, A.K. Manrai, L.A. Manrai, and E.A. Edwards (1992), "TSCALE: A New
Multidimensional Scaling Procedure Based on Tversky's Contrast Model," Psychometrika, Volume 57, No. 1, pp. 43-69.
6. Manrai, L.A. and A.K. Manrai (1993), "Positioning European Countries as Brands in a Perceptual Map: An Empirical Study of Determinants of Consumer Perceptions and Preferences," Journal of Euromarketing, Volume 2, No. 3, pp. 101-129.
7. Manrai, A.K. (1995), "Mathematical Models of Brand Choice Behavior," European Journal of Operational Research, Volume 82, pp. 1-17. Lead Article.
8. Manrai, A.K. and L.A. Manrai (1995), "A Comparative Analysis of Two Models of Store Preference Incorporating the Notion of Self-Image and Store-Image: Some Empirical Results," Journal of Marketing Channels, Volume 4, No. 3, pp. 33-51.
9. Andrews, R. L. and A.K. Manrai (1998), “Simulation Experiments in Choice Simplification: The Effect of Task and Context on Forecasting Performance,” Journal of Marketing Research, Volume
35, pp. 198-209.
10. Manrai, A.K. (1998), “Feature Issue: Modeling and Measurement Methodology in Consumer
Perceptions, Preference, Consideration, and Choice Behavior,” Editorial in European Journal of
Operational Research, Volume 111, No. 2, pp.189-192.
11. Manrai, A.K. and R. L. Andrews (1998), “Two-Stage Discrete Choice Models for Scanner Panel Data: An Assessment of Process and Assumptions,” European Journal of Operational Research,
Lead Article, Volume 111, No.2, pp. 193-215.
12. Andrews, R. L. and A.K. Manrai (1998), “Feature-Based Elimination: Model and Empirical
Comparison," European Journal of Operational Research, Volume 111, No. 2, pp. 248-267.
13. Andrews, R. and A.K. Manrai (1999), “MDS Maps of Product Attributes and Market Response: An
Application to Scanner Panel Data,” Marketing Science, Volume 18, No. 4, pp. 584-604.
Research Area - 2: Marketing Research on Issues Relating to Marketing Strategy
14. Eliashberg, J.E. and A.K. Manrai (1992), "Optimal Positioning of New Product Concepts: Some Analytical Implications and Empirical Results," European Journal of Operational Research, Volume 63, No. 3, pp. 376- 397.
15. Manrai, L.A., C. Broach, and A.K. Manrai (1992), "Advertising Appeal and Tone: Implication for Creative Strategy in Television Commercials," Journal of Business Research, Volume 24, No. 1, pp. 43-58.
16. Manrai, L.A. and A.K. Manrai (1992), "Advertising Media Trends in Fifty-one African Countries," Journal of African Finance and Economic Development, Volume 1, No. 2, pp. 95-122.
17. Murray, N., L.A. Manrai, and A.K. Manrai (1993), "Role of Disclosures in Television Advertising: Implications for Public Policy," Journal of Consumer Policy, Volume 16, pp. 145-170.
18. Manrai, L.A., A.K. Manrai, and N. Murray (1994), "Comprehension of Info-Aid Supers in Television Advertising for Social Ideas: Implications for Public Policy," Journal of Business Research, Volume 30, No. 1, pp. 75-84.
19. Manrai, L.A., A.K. Manrai, D. Lascu, and J. Ryans (1997), “Interactive Effect of Green Claim Strength and Country Disposition on Product Evaluation and Company Image,” Psychology and Marketing, Volume 14, No. 5, pp. 511-537.
20. Murray, N., L.A. Manrai, and A.K. Manrai (1998), “How Super are Video Supers: A Test of Communi-cation Efficacy,” Journal of Public Policy and Marketing, Volume 17, No. 1, pp.24-34.
Research Area - 3: Conceptual and Empirical papers in Global, International, and Crosscultural
21. Lascu, D., L.A. Manrai, and A.K. Manrai (1993), "Marketing in Romania: The Challenges of Transition from Centrally Planned Economy to Consumer Oriented Economy," European Journal of Marketing, Volume 27, No. 11/12, pp. 102-120.
22. Lascu, D., L.A. Manrai, and A.K. Manrai (1994), "Status-Concern and Consumer Decision Making in the Marketizing Economy of Romania: From the Legacies of Prescribed Consumption to the Fantasies of Desired Acquisition," Research in Consumer Behavior, Volume 7, pp. 89-122.
23. Manrai, L.A. and A.K. Manrai (1995),"Effects of Cultural Context, Gender and Acculturation on Perceptions of Work Versus Social/Leisure Time Usage," Journal of Business Research, Volume 32, No. 2, pp. 115-128.
24. Manrai, L.A. and A.K. Manrai (1996), "Current Issues in the Cross-Cultural and Cross-National
Consumer Research," Journal of International Consumer Marketing, Volume 8, No. 3 & 4, pp. 9-22.
25. Manrai, L.A., A.K. Manrai, D. Lascu (1996), "Eastern Europe's Transition to Market Economy: An Analysis of Economic and Political Risks," Journal of Euromarketing, Volume 5, No.1,pp.7-35.
26. Lascu, D., L.A. Manrai and A.K. Manrai (1996), "Value Differences Between Polish and Romanian Consumers: A Caution Against Using Regiocentric Marketing Orientation in Eastern Europe," Journal of International Consumer Marketing, Volume 8, No. 3 & 4, pp. 145-167.
27. Lascu, D., L.A. Manrai, & A.K. Manrai (1996),"Environmental Dimensions of Emerging Markets: Introducing a Region-Relevant Market Analysis Matrix," Journal of East-West Business, Volume 3, No. 1, pp.27-41.
28. Manrai, L., D. Lascu, and A.K. Manrai (1998), “Interactive Effects of Country of Origin and Product Category on Product Evaluation," International Business Review, Volume 4, No.7, pp.591-615.
29. Manrai, L.A. and A.K. Manrai (1998), “Contemporary Issues in Competitive Strategies for Global Marketing,” Research in Marketing, Volume 14, pp. 1-12.
30. Manrai, L.A., D. Lascu, A.K. Manrai (1999), “How the Fall of Iron Curtain has Affected Consumers’ Perceptions of Urban and Rural Quality of Life in Romania,” Journal of East-West Business, Volume 5, Nos. 1&2, pp. 145-172.
31. Manrai, L. A. and A. K. Manrai (2001), "Current Issues in Cross-Cultural and Cross-National Research in the New Millennium," Journal of East-West Business, Volume 7, No.1, pp. 1-10.
32. Lascu, D., L. A. Manrai, A. K. Manrai and H. W. Babb (2001), "Gender Differences in Information Search and Comparison Shopping: A Cross-Cultural Study of Shopping Behavior in Bulgaria, Hungary, and Romania," Journal of East-West Business, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 65-82.
33. Manrai, L.A. and A.K. Manrai (2001), “Marketing Opportunities and Challenges in the Emerging Markets in the New Millennium: A Conceptual Framework and Analysis,” International Business Review, Vol.10, No. 5, pp. 493-504.
34. Manrai, L.A., D. Lascu, A.K. Manrai, and H.W. Babb (2001), “A Cross-cultural Comparison of Style in Eastern European Emerging Markets,” International Marketing Review, Vol.18, No.3, pp.270-285.
35. Manrai, L.A., A.K. Manrai, and D. Lascu (2001), “A Country Cluster Analysis of the Distribution and Promotion
Infrastructure in Central and Eastern Europe,” International Business Review, Vol.10, No.5, pp.517-550.
36. Marinov, M.A., S.T. Marinova, L.A. Manrai, and A.K. Manrai (2001), “Marketing Implications of Communist
Ideological Legacy in Culture in the Context of Central and Eastern Europe: Comparison of Bulgaria,
Romania, and Ukraine,” Journal of Euromarketing, Volume 11(1), pp. 7-35.
37. Lascu, D., L.A. Manrai, A.K. Manrai, and R. Kleczek (2006), “Inter-functional Dynamics and Firm Performance: A Comparison between Firms in Poland and the United States,” International Business Review, Volume 15, pp. 641-659.
38. Manrai, L.A. and A.K. Manrai (2007), “A Field Study of Consumers’ Switching Behavior for Bank Services,” Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Volume 14, Issue 3, pp. 208-217.
39. Manrai, L.A. and A. K., Manrai (2010), “The Influence of Culture in International Business Negotiations: A New Conceptual Framework and Managerial Implications,” Journal of Transnational Management, Volume 15, Issue 1, pp. 69 – 100.
40. Lascu, D., Manrai, A.K., L.A. Manrai, Zeynep Bilgin, F., and G. Wuehrer (2011), “A Comparative Study of the Degree, Dimensionality, and Design of Consumer Ethnocentrism in Austria, Poland, Turkey, and USA ,” Journal of Euromarketing, Vol. 19, Issues 4, pp.227-246.
41. L. A. Manrai and A.K. Manrai (2011), “Current Issues in Cross-cultural and Cross-national Consumer Research in the Global Economy of the Twenty-First Century,” Journal of International Consumer Marketing, Vol. 23, Issues 3&4, pp.167-180.
42. Manrai, L.A. and A.K. Manrai (2011), “Hofstede's Cultural Dimensions and Tourist Behaviors: A Review and Conceptual Framework,” Journal of Economics, Finance, and Administrative Science, Vol. 16, No. 31, pp. 23-48.
43. L.A. Manrai, A.K. Manrai, and D.N. Lascu (2012), “Retailing in the Transition Economies of Poland and Romania: A Comparative Analysis,” Journal of Marketing Channels, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 272 – 294.
44. D. Lascu, A.K. Manrai, L.A. Manrai, and F. Brookman-Amissah (2013), “Online Marketing of Food Products to Children: The Effects of National Consumer Policies in High-Income Countries,” Young Consumers: Insight and Ideas for Responsible Marketers, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 19 - 40.
45. S. Srinidhi and A.K. Manrai (2012), “A Conceptual Model for Demand Forecasting and Service Positioning in the Airline Industry,” Journal of Modeling in Management, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 123 - 139
Awards & Honors
· Founder, President, CEO – Association for Global Business Research, 2013 - present
· President – International Management Development Association, 2011-12.
· Fulbright-Nehru Senior Research Scholar in India, 2011.
· Vice President – Programs, International Management Development Association, 2009-11.
· The William Davidson Institute, University of Michigan, Research Grant, 1996-2001.
· Nominated for the “Kinnear Best Article Award,” 1998-2000 Issues of the Journal of Public Policy and Marketing, “How Super are Video Supers: A Test of Communication Efficacy,” with Noel Murray & L.A. Manrai, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp.24-34: Announced in December 2001.
· "Faculty Research Award" in Recognition of Research and Publications in the Modeling of Consumer Perceptions, Preferences, and Choice, 1992.
· University of Delaware Summer Research Grants, 1991, 1992.
· Office of International Programs and Special Sessions Award, University of Delaware, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012
· Kraft Inc. Faculty Research Grant, 1990-91.
· Wharton Faculty Research Grant, 1990.
· University of Pennsylvania Summer Research Grants, 1986-89.
· Marketing Science Institute Research Grant, 1987-88.
· Northwestern Graduate School Fellowship and Scholarship, 1982-85.
· American Marketing Association Certificate of Honorable Mention in Recognition of
Outstanding Ph.D. Dissertation in the National Competition, 1985-86.
· Northwestern Scholar at 1985 AMA Doctoral Consortium at Duke University.
· The Alfred Lerner College of Business and Economics MBA Teaching Award for Outstanding Teaching, 2006, 2009.
· The Executive MBA Outstanding Teaching Award in Appreciation of Overall Excellence
in Teaching, 2001, 2003, 2007.
· The Executive MBA Teaching Excellence Honorable Mention Award in Appreciation of
Outstanding Contributions to Learning, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008.
· The Alfred Lerner College of Business and Economics MBA Teaching Award, Honorable
Mention, 2007, 2008, 2010.
· University-Wide Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award, University of Delaware, 1994.
· Nominated for the University-Wide Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award, University of Delaware, 2004, 2006, 2009, 2011
· College-Wide Outstanding Teaching Award for Excellence in Graduate Teaching, 1995.
· First "Outstanding MBA Teacher Award" at the College of Business & Economics, University of Delaware, 1992.
· Anvil Award for Excellence in Teaching at Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, Nominated every year during 1987-90.
· Course Development Grant, Seminar in Marketing, BUEC865, Distance Learning Class via WebCT to be used in the Accelerated MBA Program and MS in IS&TM Program, summer 2002.
· Executive MBA Curriculum Grant for the proposal titled: Using Computer Simulation for Integrating Business Functions in the EMBA Curriculum, summer 2000.
Other Awards and Honors
· Northwestern Scholar at 1985 AMA Doctoral Consortium at Duke University.
· Distinguished Industry Scholar, IIM Ahmedabad, India, 1975.
· Director's Honor List, IIT Delhi, India, 1968-73.
· National Merit Scholar, IIT Delhi, India, 1968-73.
· First Position in High School and Merit Listed in the Delhi Board of Secondary Education: 1968.
- International Marketing Management
- Study Abroad Program in India
- Advanced Marketing Management and Strategy Seminar
- International Marketing Research and Teaching
- Marketing Research
- Marketing Management