ARAMARK Chaired Professor
|Department:||Hotel, Restaurant & Institutional Management|
115 Raub Hall
Newark, DE 19716
Fred DeMicco is ARAMARK Endowed Chaired Professor in the Department of Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Management. Formerly, he was associate director of the School of Hotel, Restaurant and Recreation Management at Penn State University, where he was professor-in-charge of HRIM undergraduate and graduate programs. He is presently a Conti Distinguished Professor at the Pennsylvania State University's School of Hotel, Restaurant and Recreation Management and president of international academics at SIAF Campus in Volterra, Tuscany.
DeMicco has worked with ARAMARK at four Summer Olympic Games and lead dozens of Study@Sea cruise ship management courses around the world. Since 2007, he has worked with the Foundation of the Bank of Volterra to open a new 25 million-euro campus in Tuscany.
DeMicco’s industry experience includes working in hotel management at Walt Disney World in Florida, where he obtained his Ducktorate Degree from Disney University. DeMicco also spent five years with Virginia Tech Dining Services serving as chief dietitian and associate director of dining and technology, where he was responsible for all menu planning, technology and nutrition.
DeMicco has authored or co-authored nearly 100 articles in the area of tourism and hospitality management, and has co-authored several books. He is on the editorial advisory board of the Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research and several other notable journals.
His other experience includes employment with Aramark International, Marriott Vacation Club International and several healthcare operations, including assisted living facilities and Massachusetts General Hospital.
- International strategic management
- Medical tourism
- Wine and beverage management
- Managerial accounting and innovation
- Doctorate in hotel, restaurant and institutional management, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- DeMicco, F.J., Seferis, Y.B., & Scholz, M.E. (2014). The Eco-Restaurant of The Future: A Case Study. Journal of Foodservice Business Research. 17 (3):363-68.
- DeMicco, F.J., & Poorani, A. (2013). The Green Team-Case Study. The Hospitality Financial Management Review. Spring. Vol. 24. No. 1
- Cetron, M.J., DeMicco, F.J., Fang, R., Woo, L., & Davies, O. (2012). Strategic Tourism Tools Following the Disaster in Japan- Could it happen here in the U.S.? Journal of Global Business and Trade. 8(2), 29-38.
- DeMicco, F.J. (2014). Cracker Barrel: A Case Study. The Journal of Foodservice Business Research. Volume 18 (3). In Press (for summer of fall 2015)
- Song, K., Agbemabiese, C., Wang, Y., Owens, E. & DeMicco, F.J. (2014). Disney and Comcast Theme Park Strategy: Competing in a Complex Environment. Submitted to the ICHRIE Case Study Competition (in press).
Awards & Honors
- Lamp of Knowledge Award for Outstanding United States Educator, American Hotel & Lodging Educational Institute (2008)
The Lodging Industry's Top Education Innovator, Lodging Magazine (2006)