Professor and Chair Department of Economics
406 Purnell Hall
Newark, DE 19716
- Economics of the Great Depression
- Monetary Theory and History
- Macroeconomic Policy Analysis
- Determinants of Economics Growth
- Ph.D., Economics, University of Virginia, VA, 1977
- B.A., Economics, Wilkes College, PA, Magna Cum Laude, 1971
- Curriculum Vitae
Recent and Selected Publications
- "The Original Operation Twist: The War Finance Corporation's War Bond Purchases, 1918-1920," (with Mihaela Solcan), Financial History Review, April 2016, Vol. 23, Part 1, pp. 21-46.
- "Eugene Meyer and the German Influence on the Origin of U.S. Federal Financial Rescues," Journal of the History of Economic Thought, March 2015, Vol. 37, Issue 1, pp. 57-77.
- “The Economic Growth Effect of Offshore Banking in Host Countries: Evidence from the Caribbean,” (with Leo-Rey Gordon), World Development, April 2013, Vol. 44, pp. 165-179.
- “Monetary Policy During the Great Depression” for Routledge Handbook of Major Events in Economic History. New York: Routledge, 2013.
- “The Political Business Cycle: New Evidence from the Nixon Tapes,” (with Burton A. Abrams), Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, March-April 2012, Vol. 44, No. 2-3, pp. 385-399.
- “Minerals, Institutions, Openness and Growth: An Empirical Analysis,” (with Halit Yanikkaya), Land Economics, May 2010, Vol. 86, pp. 313-328.
- “Governor Eugene Meyer and the Great Contraction,” Research in Economic History, 2008, Vol. 26, 273-307. Reprinted in The Seminal Works Of the Great Depression, Vol. II, Randall E. Parker, ed. 2011, Edward Elgar, pp. 679 – 713.
- “The Effects of IMF and World Bank Lending on Long-Run Economic Growth: An Empirical Analysis,” (with Halit Yanikkaya), World Development, March 2005, Vol. 33, pp. 371-391.
- “The Reconstruction Finance Corporation” (2002) Entry for on-line Economic History Encyclopedia EH.NET available at: http://eh.net/encyclopedia/article/butkiewicz.finance.corp.reconstruction
- “The Reconstruction Finance Corporation, the Gold Standard, and the Banking Panic of 1933,” Southern Economic Journal, October 1999, Vol. 66, pp. 271-293.
- "The Impact of a Lender of Last Resort During the Great Depression: The Case of the Reconstruction Finance Corporation," Explorations in Economic History, July 1995, pp. 197-216.
- "The Market Value of Outstanding Government Debt: A Comment," Journal of Monetary Economics, May 1983, pp. 373-79.
- "Money, Spending, and the Great Depression" (with Barry L. Anderson), Southern Economic Journal, October 1980, pp. 388‑403.
- "Outside Wealth, the Demand for Money and the Crowding‑Out Effect," Journal of Monetary Economics, April 1979, pp. 249‑58.
Awards & Honors
- Visiting Professor, Faculté de Sciences Economiques et de Gestion, Université Lumière (Lyon 2), Lyon, France, 2001
- Editorial Board, Eastern Economic Journal, 2001-2015.
- Chairman, Department of Economics, University of Delaware, 1996-2001
- Associate Dean, College of Business and Economics, University of Delaware, 1984-88, 1991-1996
- Honor Society Membership, Phi Kappa Phi
- Excellence in Graduate Teaching Award, College of Business and Economics, University of Delaware, 1998
- First Place, College and University Level, Joint Council on Economic Education, 26th National Awards Program for the Teaching of Economics. Project abstract appears in Volume 26 Economic Education Experiences of Enterprising Teachers.
- Monetary Theory and History