Robert L. Paretta
Associate Professor of Accounting & MIS
|Department:||Accounting & MIS|
215 Purnell Hall
Newark, DE 19716
- Ph.D., Accounting, Syracuse University, NY
- M.S., Accounting, Syracuse University, NY
- M.B.A., Finance, Long Island University, NY
- BBA, Finance, Iona College, NY
- Certified Public Accountant, DE
- Delaware Society of CPAs, Board of Directors, July 2016 - Present
- Delaware State Board of Accountancy – Appointed by Governor Markell to two consecutive three-year terms, September 2009 through 2015. Elected Secretary of the Board in 2014.
- Delaware State Board of Pension Trustees - Audit Committee member since December 2011.
- DuPont Company, Morgan Stanley and PwC – Spent sabbatical leave spring of 2011 participating with these firms in meetings and projects related to SEC reporting requirements.
- The Siegfried Group, Wilmington, DE. During 2008 served as In-house CPE consultant.
- PricewaterhouseCoopers, National Professional Technical Risk and Quality Group, Florham Park, NJ. During January 2004 – July 2004 spent sabbatical leave with the National Corporate Governance group doing research on audit committees in connection with the publication of Audit Committee Effectiveness – What Works Best, 3rd Edition, a monograph jointly published by PricewaterhouseCoopers and The Internal Audit Institute 2005.
- Deloitte (formerly Deloitte, Haskins & Sells), Philadelphia, PA. Faculty Intern, Summer 1983, designed a computerized system for scheduling partner and manager assignments. Worked on a Lotus training project for the national office, 1984. Designed a computerized system for the national office to track college recruiting information, 1985.
- PricewaterhouseCoopers (formerly Coopers & Lybrand), Philadelphia, PA. August 1978 - September 1979 spent sabbatical leave as audit senior on various client engagements. December 1979 - September 1981 spent winter and summer sessions as audit supervisor on various client engagements.
- Other consulting engagements over the years in accounting, MIS and related professional education for various clients including American Life Insurance Company, Coopers & Lybrand Consulting, Delaware Society of CPAs, DuPont, Lehman Brothers, Morgan Stanley, Pennsylvania Institute of CPAs, Philadelphia Tax Conference, Piezo Crystal Company, RDP Company, Tomra North America, Inc., and the U. S. Chamber of Commerce.
- "The Misconceptions and Obstacles of Practice Mobility," Pennsylvania CPA Journal, Summer 2015.
- "An Introduction to Web Services," with Guido L. Geerts and Clinton E. White, Jr., The CPA Journal, August 2004.
Awards & Honors
- Excellence in Service Award – 2016, Department of Accounting & MIS, Alfred P. Lerner College of Business and Economics.
- Excellence in Teaching Award – in 1977 and 1992, University of Delaware, College of Business & Economics College Council.
- MBA Teaching Award – Honorable Mention - 2007, University of Delaware, Alfred P. Lerner College of Business and Economics.
- Nominated for the University of Delaware's University-Wide Excellence in Teaching Award 9 times since 2000.
- Introduction to Financial Accounting (Honors)
- Intermediate Accounting (Honors - undergraduate and undergraduate)
- Financial Reporting and Analysis (MBA)