Professor of Economics
413 Purnell Hall
Newark, DE 19716
Personal Web Page:
- Labor Economics
- Economic Demography/Economics of the Family
- Welfare and Poverty
- Ph.D., University of Michigan, Economics, 1977
- M.A., University of Michigan, Economics, 1975
- M.U.P., University of Michigan, 1973
- B.A., University of Pennsylvania, 1971
- Curriculum Vitae
- Handbook on Women and Economy (with Susan L. Averett and Laura M. Argys, eds.), Oxford University Press, forthcoming (2017).
- “Abortion, Contraception and Non-Marital Births: Reinterpreting the Akerlof-Yellen-Katz Model of Pre-Marital Sex and Shot-Gun Marriage,” Eastern Economic Journal, advance online publication, 12 October 2015, doi:10.1057/eej.2015.51
- “Teen Childbearing and Economics: A Short History of a 25-Year Research Love Affair,” Societies, Special Issue on Adolescent Pregnancy: Past, Present and Future Trends and Issues, 2015 (5), 646-663; doi:10.3390/soc5030646.
- “Financial System Development and Economic Growth in Transition Economies: New Empirical Evidence from the CEE and CIS Countries,” (with Laura Cojocaru, Evangelos M. Falaris, and Jeffrey B. Miller), Emerging Markets, Finance and Trade, Vol. 52, No. 1, pp. 223-236, January, 2016.
- “Are the Effects of Minimum Wage Increases Always Small? A Re-Analysis of Sabia, Burkhauser, and Hansen, ILR Review, Vol. 69 (2), pp. 295-311, March, 2016.
- Women and the Economy: Family, Work, and Pay, 3rd Edition, (with Susan L. Averett). Palgrave MacMillan, 2016.
- “Geography and Gender: Variation in the Gender Earnings Gap Across U.S. States,” Social Science Quarterly, Volume 96 (1), pp. 235-250, March, 2015.
- “Employment Effects of the 2009 Minimum Wage Increase: New Evidence from State-Based Comparisons of Workers by Skill Level,” The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 695-721, 2014.
- "Wage Inequality and the Labor Market Impact of Economic Transformation: Croatia, 1970-2008," (with Ivo Bicanic and Oriana Vukoja), Economic Systems, Vol. 36, Pages 206-217, June 2012.
- “Revisiting Marshall's Law: Why Does Labor’s Share Interact with the Elasticity of Substitution to Decrease the Elasticity of Labor Demand?” Journal of Economic Education,Vol. 40, No, 2, pp. 437-445, 2009.
- "Married With Children: The Labor Force Participation of Women in the Late 20th and Early 21st Centuries,"Monthly Labor Review, February, 2009.
- "NJ and PA Once Again: What Happened to Employment When the PA-NJ Minimum Wage Differential Disappeared?" (with Diane Trace), Eastern Economic Journal, Vol. 35, No 1, pp. 115-128, 2009.
- Women and the Economy: Family, Work, and Pay, (with Susan L. Averett), Addison Wesley, 2nd Edition, January, 2009.
- Kids Having Kids: Economic Costs and Social Consequences of Teen Pregnancy, Second Edition, (with Rebecca A. Maynard, eds.), Washington, DC: The Urban Institute Press, 2008.
- “A Good Policy Goes Bad: The Strange Case of the Non-Refundable State EITC,“ State Tax Notes, Vol. 44, No. 8, pp. 551-558, May 21, 2007.
- By the Numbers: The Public Costs of Teen Childbearing. Washington: National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy, October, 2006.
- Women and the Economy: Family, Work, and Pay, (with Susan L. Averett), Addison Wesley, 2005.
- "Marriage Tax Relief in the Earned Income Tax Credit: EGTRRA 2001 and Beyond," Tax Notes, Aug. 30, 2004, pp. 935-941.
- Helping Working Families: The Earned Income Tax Credit (with Laurence S. Seidman), Upjohn Institute for Employment Research, Kalamazoo, MI, 2003.
Awards & Honors
- Member, National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy Effective Programs and Research Committee, 2001-2006, Research Advisory Panel, 2007-.
- NIH Reviewer, Demographic Behavior Branch, 2005-2008.
- Core Associate Faculty, Program in Women's Studies, University of Delaware
- Research Associate, Population Studies Center, University of Pennsylvania
- Honor Society Membership, Phi Kappa Phi
- Grants: NICHD, HHS, Smith-Richardson Foundation, W. T. Grant Foundation, C. S. Mott Foundation, W. E. Upjohn Foundation
- Visiting Professor, Faculté de Sciences Economiques et de Gestion, Université Lumière (Lyon 2), Lyon, France, 1998
- Women and the Economy
- Labor Economics