Professor of Accounting
|Department:||Accounting & MIS|
206A Purnell Hall
Newark, DE 19716
Research Interests and Projects:
- Tailored Universal Feedstock for Forming (TuFF)- Task 6 Cost Analysis. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (BAA 15 64), John Gillespie, PI. 2016-2019.
- Cost Analysis of Advanced Materials & Processing
- “Virtual Simulation for Cost Reduction in Advanced Material Intelligent Processing Center: Next Generation Scalable Lean Manufacturing”, Office of Naval Research (J. Gillespie and S. Advani, Principal Investigators) 2009-2011.
- “Estimating Cost Bias of American Bureau of Shipping Standards for Advanced Materials Applications” (With R. Walsh).
- “Cost Advantage of Planar Array Spectroscopy”
- “Strategic Implications for Information Technology of Supreme Court Rulings on Business Methods Patents”. (with J. Blue and A. Everard)
- Ph.D. , Accounting, Drexel University, PA
- M.B.A., Shippensburg University, PA
- B.S., Shippensburg, PA
- Professional License: US Coast Guard- No. 2889110, Master
- Jones, S., Teri, M. “Cost comparison of alternative consolidation Methods for large scale Structures”. Proceedings of the Society for the Advancement of Materials and Process Engineers, May 21, 2012, Baltimore, MD.
- “Startup Companies: Taking your idea from Lab to Commercialization” Pittsburg Conference on Analytical Chemistry, March 13, 2011, Atlanta Georgia. (Invited Paper)
- "Cost Accounting" in Marks Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers, Eleventh edition, Eugene Avallone and Theodore Burmeister, eds. McGraw-Hill Book Company: New York. 2007.
- Jones, S., Heider, D., of the Center for Composite Materials at the University of Delaware, with Hart, B., of the Army Research Laboratory, (2004). Cost Modeling for CAV Armor Panel Technical Report.
- “The Relevance of Activity-Based Management Support for Composite Structures Design,” Advances in Management Accounting, vol. 7 (1999): 1-24. (with D. Wright and V. Karbhari)
- “Hybrid Methodology for Quantifying the Cost and Productivity of Manufacturing Scenarios for the Automated Fiber Placement of Aircraft Skins,” SAMPE Technical Conference, vol. 43 no. 1 (June 1998): 44-55. (with Raciti, R., Stolfo, K., Steiner, K. V., & Lamontia, M)
- “Process and Cost Modelling of the Metal Foam Technology Based on Computer-Aided Simulations,” Technical Report, Fraunhofer USA, March 1998. (with M. Schimmelpfennig and H. Eifert)
- “From Balance Sheet to Income Statement: A Study of a Transition in Accounting Thought in the U.S., 1926-1936,” Accounting, Auditing, & Accountability, vol. 10 no.2 (1997): 198-211. (with D. Buckmaster).
- “Organizational Influence in a Model of the Moral Decision Process of Accountants,” Journal of Business Ethics, 14 (1995): 417-431. (with K. Hiltebeitel).
- "Eliminating Unnecessary Activities," NAPM Insights,(December 1994): 8-9 (with M. Pohlen).
- "Assessing the Relevance of Cost Information for Product Design," Challenging the Status Quo in Design, Society of Plastics Engineers: Chicago, Ill., (March 1994):151-156. (with D. L. Wright)
- "An Evaluation of the Reliability of Alternative Survey Media," Journal of Applied Business Research, vol. 10, no. 1 (Winter 1994): 86-91. (with M.A. Atkinson)
- "The Association Between Executive Succession and Discretionary Accounting Changes: Earnings Management or Different Perspectives?" Journal of Business, Finance, and Accounting, vol. 20(5) (September 1993): 653-672. (with R. LaSalle and R. Jain)
- "A Comment on A Multidimensional Analysis of Selected Ethical Issues in Accounting," The Accounting Review, vol. 68, no. 2 (April 1993): 411-416. (with L. Ponemon)
- "Activity Networks for the Support of Concurrent Engineering of Resin Transfer Molding," Society of Plastics Engineers ANTEC, vol. 3 (May 1993): 3256-3260. (with D. Wright and V. Karbhari).
- "Cost Information Barriers and Composite Materials," International Journal of Materials and Product Technology, vol. 7 no. 3 (1992): 215-231. (with V. Karbhari)
- "Activity-Based Cost and Management in Composite Materials Product Realization," International Journal of Materials and Product Technology, vol. 7 no. 3 (1992): 232-244. (with V. Karbhari)
- "Strategies for Delivering Cost-Competitive Composite Products," Advanced Composites: Design, Materials and Processing Technologies, ASM International, Materials Park, OH, (November 1992): 143-150.(with V. Karbhari)
- "An Alternative Formulation for Activity Based Cost Functions," Advances in Management Accounting, vol. 1 (1992): 141-150. (with K. Poston)
- "Initial Evidence on the Impact of Ethics Integration in Accounting Education," Issues in Accounting Education, vol. 6 no. 2 (Fall 1991): 262-275. (with K. Hiltebeitel)
- "An Assessment of Ethics Instruction in Accounting Education," Journal of Business Ethics, vol. 11 (1992): 37-46. (with K. Hiltebeitel)
- "Decision Makers' Ability to Identify Unusual Costs and Implications for Alternative Estimation Procedures." Journal of Applied Business Research, vol. 7 no. 4 (Fall 1991): 36-41. (with M. Atkinson)
- "Student Attitude Shifts Attributable to Accounting Microcomputer Projects," Kent/Bentley Journal of Accounting and Computers, vol. 6 no. 1 (Fall 1990): 56‑64. (with K. Hiltebeitel and W. Harmon)
- "The Effect of Mandatory Microcomputer Policy on Students' Attitudes Regarding Microcomputer Use," Accounting Systems Journal, vol. 1 no. 2. (Fall 1990): 188‑207. (with W. Harmon and K. Hiltebeitel)
- "The IPM Model of Computer Virus Management," Computers and Security, vol. 9 no.5 (August 1990): 411‑418. (with C. White)
Awards & Honors
- Lerner College Outstanding Outreach/Service Award (2010
- Junior Achievement Outstanding Leadership Award (2009)
- VP of Finance/CFO, PAIR Technologies, LLC, Newark, DE (2005-present)
- Member, Board of Directors, Delaware Innovation Fund (2005-present)
- Member, Delaware Economic Development Authority Pre-Venture Fund Board (2006-present)
- University of Delaware College of Business and Economics – Associate Dean (1997 to 2002)
- University of Delaware Entrepreneurial Studies Program – Director (2006 to 2010)
- University of Delaware Venture Development Center – Director (2008 to 2010)
- Strategic Cost Management & Control Systems