|Department:||Hotel, Restaurant & Institutional Management|
Newark, DE 19716
Dr. Zvi Schwartz is a Professor in the Department of Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Management in the Alfred Lerner College of Business and Economics at the University of Delaware. Prior to joining the University of Delaware, Dr. Schwartz was the J. Willard and Alice S. Marriott Senior Faculty Fellow for Hospitality Finance and Revenue Management in the department of Hospitality and Tourism Management at Virginia Tech where he served as the director of graduate programs, and an associate professor at the University of Illinois. Prior to joining academia, he had over a decade of lodging industry experience as a manager and an entrepreneur.
His scholarly research and industry consulting focus on the core technical and strategic elements of the revenue management cycle: forecasting, optimization and monitoring, as well as the closely related topics of strategic pricing, and consumer and firm decisions in advanced reservation environments. Recent projects explored novel hotel forecasting approaches, occupancy forecasting accuracy measures, hotel competitive sets, overbooking optimization, and revenue management performance measures.
Dr. Schwartz teaches courses in hotel management at both the graduate and undergraduate level and mentors doctoral and master’s students. He is an active member of the International Council of Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education (I-CHRIE), the chair of I-CHRIE’s Revenue Management special interest group (SIG), and chaired I-CHRIE’s research academy track. Dr. Schwartz has received numerous research awards. He is a three-time recipient of ICHRIE's W. Bradford Wiley Memorial Best Published Research Paper of the Year Award, and his research grants total over $600,000.
Ph.D., Hospitality and Tourism Management, Purdue University
MBA, Tel-Aviv University
BA, Economics, Haifa University
Selected recent publications
- van der Rest, J., Cordella, P., Loosschilder, G. & Schwartz, Z. (Forthcoming 2016). Connecting search marketing to hotel revenue management: Conjoint analysis as a methodology to evaluate the optimal online travel agency commission fee, Services Science.
- Chen, C., Schwartz, Z., & Yu, X. (Forthcoming 2016). On the students as surrogates research conundrum: Insights from statistical reasoning in revenue management. Journal of Revenue & Pricing Management.
- Schwartz, Z., Uysal, M., Webb, T., & Altin, M. (forthcoming 2016). Hotel Daily Occupancy Forecasting with Competitive Sets: A Recursive Algorithm, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 28(4).
- Poria Y., Schwartz, Z., & Uysal, M. (2015). IF you can keep your head: The unintended consequences of the impact factor on tourism research. Tourism Management. 51, 300-302. doi:10.1016/j.tourman.2015.05.010.
- Xiang .Z, Schwartz, Z., Gerdes, J. H., & Uysal, M. (2015). What can big data and text analytics tell us about hotel guest experience and satisfaction? International Journal of Hospitality Management. 44, 120-130. doi: 10.1016/j.ijhm.2014.10.013
- Koupriouchina, L., van der Rest, J. I., & Schwartz, Z. (2014). On Revenue Management and the use of occupancy forecasting error measures. International Journal of Hospitality Management. 41, (104-114). doi: 10.1016/j.ijhm.2014.05.002.
Awards & Honors
|Best Research Paper Award, Revenue Management and Pricing conference, Paris||2015|
|Institute of Hospitality Education, Research Award, EuroCHRIE||2015|
|W. Bradford Wiley Memorial Best Published Research Paper of the Year Award, ICHRIE||2015|
|W. Bradford Wiley Memorial Best Published Research Paper of the Year Award, ICHRIE||2013|
|Researcher of the week, Virginia Tech||2013|
|Excellent paper award, the 2012 TOSOK International Tourism Conference||2012|
|Best paper award, Graduate Education and Research in Tourism and Hospitality Conference||2011|
|W. Bradford Wiley Memorial Best Published Research Paper of the Year Award, ICHRIE||2010|
|Harrah Hospitality Research Center, Outstanding Dissertation Award in Hospitality (Chair)||2010|
|Best conference paper award, ApacCHRIE||2006|
|Finalist, W. Bradford Wiley Memorial Best Published Research Paper of the Year Award||2005|
|Best conference paper, Graduate Education and Research in Tourism and Hospitality Conference||2005|
|Best paper award, CHRIE||2003|
|ANABAR citation of Excellence (now Emerald Management Reviews), Highest Quality Rating||1998|
|Best paper award, CHRIE||1997|