Information on the 2017 Blue Hen 17&43 companies and their founders is available at http://horn.udel.edu/2017-1743-winners.
The Blue Hen 17&43 Awards build on the University of Delaware’s long tradition of leadership, innovation and entrepreneurship by honoring the most promising new ventures and fastest growing companies founded, owned or led by our students and alumni.
- January 1, 2018: Begin accepting nominations based on FY2014-16 performance
- May 15, 2018: Nomination deadline
- September, 2018: UD Messenger recognition and invitation-only award dinner
The Blue Hen 17 & 43 is a project of UD’s Horn Entrepreneurship and the Alfred Lerner College of Business & Economics.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
Only businesses that operate in a manner consistent with the guiding principles of the University of Delaware are eligible for Blue Hen 17&43 Award consideration. Businesses must also meet one of the following three criteria to demonstrate Blue Hen leadership:
- Blue Hen founded: a current student, alumnus, alumnae or group must have founded the company and remained as an active member of the senior management team through the end of the company’s most recent fiscal year.
- Blue Hen owned: an alumnus, alumnae or group must have owned 50% or more of the company throughout its most recent three fiscal years (FY2014-16).
- Blue Hen led: at least one alumnus or alumnae must have served in a chief executive role (for example, chairman, CEO, president or managing partner) throughout its three most recent fiscal years (FY2014-16).
Blue Hen 17 Most Promising Ventures
A panel comprised of UD Horn Entrepreneurship and Lerner College personnel, accomplished entrepreneurs and business leaders will rate each nominated venture’s impact potential by assessing the venture’s innovativeness, milestone accomplishment, current and future revenues, job creation and social impact. Ventures will then be ranked from highest to lowest, and the top 17 will be selected for award recognition.
Additional eligibility criteria for recognition as a member of the inaugural Blue Hen 17 Most Promising Ventures include:
- Company must have been formally established after January 1, 2013.
- Company must be able to document its potential through some combination of: business innovation & milestones accomplished, capital raised and revenues (or revenue potential).
Blue Hen 43 Fastest-Growing Companies
For each nominated company, Horn Entrepreneurship and Lerner College personnel will calculate the compounded annual growth rate based on revenues for the three most recent fiscal years. Companies will then be ranked from highest to lowest, and the top 43 will be selected for award recognition.
Additional eligibility criteria for recognition as a member of the inaugural Blue Hen 43 Fastest-Growing Companies include:
- Company must have been formally established on or before January 1, 2013.
- Company must have verifiable total revenues of $1,000,000 or more for their most recent fiscal year.
Nominations for the 2018 awards will open January 1, 2018.
Recognition and Award Dinner
Blue Hen leaders and their companies will be recognized in a special insert in the September issue of UD’s Messenger, which is distributed to more than 140,000 alumni and supporters around the world. The insert will provide a ranked listing of award winners that includes each honoree’s name, class year, title, company name, year of founding, growth rate, general industry and location. Company revenues and contact information will not be disclosed.
All Blue Hen leaders whose companies are recognized as 17&43 Award recipients will be honored at an invitation-only award dinner scheduled for September, 2018.