Title Associate Professor of Computer and Information Sciences
Office Smith Hall 406
Michela Taufer is an associate professor in Computer and Information Sciences and a JPMC Scholar at the Institute for Financial Services Analytics at the University of Delaware. Her research interests are in high performance computing (HPC) with focus on scientific applications; performance analysis, modeling, and optimization of multi-scale applications on heterogeneous computing, cloud computing, and volunteer computing; numerical reproducibility and stability of large-scale simulations on multi-core platforms; data analytics and MapReduce.
- Ph.D. in computer science, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (ETH), Switzerland, 2002
- M.S. (laurea) in computer engineering, University of Padua, Italy, 1996
- T. Johnston, B. Zhang, A. Liwo, S. Crivelli, and M. Taufer. In-Situ Data Analytics and Indexing of Protein Trajectories. Journal of Computational Chemistry (JCC), 2017. (Article accepted on 26 October, 2016).
- T. Gao, Y. Guo, B. Zhang, P. Cicotti, Y. Lu, P. Balaji, and M. Taufer. Mimir: Memory-Efficient and Scalable MapReduce for Large Supercomputing Systems. In Proceedings of the IEEE/ACM International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS). Orlando, Florida, USA. May 29 – Jun 2, 2017.
- V. Stodden, M. McNutt, D. H. Bailey, E. Deelman, Y. Gil, B. Hanson, M. A. Heroux, J. P.A. Ioannidis, and M. Taufer. Enhancing Reproducibility for Computational Methods – Data, code and workflows should be available and cited. Science, 354(6317), December 9, 2016.
- S. Herbein, S. McDaniel, N. Podhorszki, S. Klasky, and M. Taufer. Performance Characterization of Irregular I/O at the Extreme Scale. Journal of Parallel Computing, 51: 17 – 36, 2016. (Correspondent author).
- M. Wyatt, T. Johnston, M. Papas, and M. Taufer. Development of a Scalable Method for Creating Food Groups Using the NHANES Dataset and MapReduce. In Proceedings of the ACM Bioinformatics and Computational Biology Conference (BCB), pp. 1 – 10. Seattle, WA, USA. October 2 – 4, 2016.
- S. Herbein, D. H. Ahn, D. Lipari, T. R.W. Scogland, M. Stearman, M. Grondona, J. Garlick, B. Springmeyer, and M. Taufer. Scalable I/O-Aware Job Scheduling for Burst Buffer Enabled HPC Clusters. In Proceedings of the ACM International Symposium on High-Performance Parallel and Distributed Computing (HPDC), pp. 1 – 10. Kyoto, Japan. May 30 – Jun 4, 2016.
- T. Johnston, M. Alsulmi, P. Cicotti and M. Taufer. Performance Tuning of MapReduce Jobs Using Surrogate-Based Modeling. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Computational Science (ICCS), pp. 49 – 59. Reykjavik, Iceland. June 1 – 3, 2015.
- B. Zhang, T. Estrada, P. Cicotti, P. Balaji, and M. Taufer. Accurate Scoring of Drug Conformations at the Extreme Scale. In Proceedings of 8th IEEE International Scalable Computing Challenge – Co-located with IEEE/ACM CCGrid, pp. 817 – 822. Shenzhen, China. 4 – 7 May 2015.
Awards & Honors
- Keynote at the IEEE Cluster Conference, Taipei, Taiwan, 2016
- Keynote at the 7th Workshop on Scientific Cloud Computing (ScienceCloud), Kyoto, Japan, 2016
- ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) Distinguished Scientist, 2015
- Keynote at the Fifth International Workshop on Accelerators and Hybrid Exascale Systems (AsHES), Hyderabad, India, 2015
- Winner of the 8th IEEE International Scalable Computing Challenge – Co-located with the IEEE/ACM CCGrid Conference, 2015
Download Michela Taufer’s CV (PDF)
Visit Michela Taufer’s Personal Webpage