Dr. Ajay Manrai is a professor of marketing in the Department of Business Administration, Lerner College of Business and Economics at the University of Delaware. He took the editorial responsibilities as the editor-in-chief of the Journal of Global Marketing (Taylor and Francis) beginning January 1, 2016. Dr. Manrai was the president of the International Management Development Association, IMDA for 2010-12. He received a Fulbright-Nehru grant in the role of a Senior Research Scholar in India during spring 2011.
Dr. Manrai completed Ph.D. in marketing from the Kellogg Graduate School of Management, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, USA. He received a bachelor of technology in mechanical engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology, IIT, Delhi, India and MBA from Indian Institute of Management, IIM, Ahmedabad, India.
Prior to joining the faculty at the University of Delaware in 1991, he served as a marketing faculty member at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. He has published 119 research articles, including papers in reputed journals, such as Marketing Science, Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of International Marketing, International Business Review and Psychometrika, among others. His research interests include modeling consumer perceptions and choice, marketing strategies of multinational companies, and cross-cultural and cross-national consumer marketing. Dr. Manrai’s teaching interests include marketing management, marketing research and international marketing.
He has received many awards, honors, and grants for excellence in research and teaching including the prestigious University Teaching Award at the University of Delaware and the Best Professor Award in the MBA Program and EMBA Program at the University. He has traveled to nearly 120 countries on all seven continents. He serves as an associate editor of the Journal of Modeling in Management (JM2 published by Emerald and housed at the University of Glasgow, UK) and Journal of Economics, Finance and Administrative Science (JEFAS published by Elsevier and housed at ESAN, Peru.) He serves on the editorial boards of several journals including the International Business Review, and Marketing and Psychology.
- Ph.D. in marketing, Northwestern University, Kellogg Graduate School of Management, 1986
- M.B.A. in marketing, Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, India, 1976
- B. technology in mechanical engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi, India, 1973
- Manrai, A.K. and P.K. Sinha (1989), “Elimination-By-Cutoffs,” Marketing Science, Volume 8, No. 2, pp. 133-152.
- LaTour, S. and A.K. Manrai (1989), “Interactive Impact of Informational and Normative Influence on Donations,” Journal of Marketing Research, Volume 26, pp. 327-335.
- DeSarbo, W.S., A.K. Manrai, and R. Burke (1990), “A Nonspatial Methodology for the Analysis of Two-Way Proximity Data Incorporating Distance-Density Hypothesis,” Psychometrika, Volume 55, No. 2, pp. 229-253.
- DeSarbo, W.S. and A.K. Manrai (1992), “A New Multidimensional Scaling Methodology for the Analysis of Asymmetric Proximity Data in Marketing Research,” Marketing Science, Volume 11, No. 1, pp. 1-20. Lead Article in the tenth anniversary issue of the Journal.
- DeSarbo, W.S., M. Johnson, A.K. Manrai, L.A. Manrai, and E.A. Edwards (1992), “TSCALE: A New Multidimensional Scaling Procedure Based on Tversky’s Contrast Model,” Psychometrika, Volume 57, No. 1, pp. 43-69.
- Manrai, L.A. and A.K. Manrai (1993), “Positioning European Countries as Brands in a Perceptual Map: An Empirical Study of Determinants of Consumer Perceptions and Preferences,” Journal of Euromarketing, Volume 2, No. 3, pp. 101-129.
- Manrai, A.K. (1995), “Mathematical Models of Brand Choice Behavior,” European Journal of Operational Research, Volume 82, pp. 1-17. Lead Article.
- Manrai, A.K. and L.A. Manrai (1995), “A Comparative Analysis of Two Models of Store Preference Incorporating the Notion of Self-Image and Store-Image: Some Empirical Results,” Journal of Marketing Channels, Volume 4, No. 3, pp. 33-51.
- Andrews, R. L. and A.K. Manrai (1998), “Simulation Experiments in Choice Simplification: The Effect of Task and Context on Forecasting Performance,” Journal of Marketing Research, Volume 35, pp. 198-209.
- Manrai, A.K. (1998), “Feature Issue: Modeling and Measurement Methodology in Consumer Perceptions, Preference, Consideration, and Choice Behavior,” Editorial in European Journal of Operational Research, Volume 111, No. 2, pp.189-192.
Awards & Honors
- Nominated for the Alfred Lerner College of Business and Economics MBA Teaching Award, University of Delaware, 2014, 2016
- The Alfred Lerner College of Business and Economics MBA Teaching Award, Honorable Mention, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012
- The Executive MBA Teaching Excellence Honorable Mention Award in Appreciation of Outstanding Contributions to Learning, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008
- Nominated for the University-Wide Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award, University of Delaware, 2004, 2006, 2009, 2012, 2014, 2015
- Department of Business Administration Award for Outstanding Teaching, 2014
- The Alfred Lerner College of Business and Economics MBA Teaching Award for Outstanding Teaching, 2006, 2009
- The Executive MBA Outstanding Teaching Award in Appreciation of Overall Excellence in Teaching, 2001, 2003, 2007
- College-wide Outstanding Teaching Award for Excellence in Graduate Teaching, 1995
- University-wide Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award, University of Delaware, 1994
- First “Outstanding MBA Teacher Award” at the College of Business & Economics, University of Delaware, 1992