Title Professor of Economics
Office 412 Purnell Hall
- Ph.D. in economics, University of Minnesota, 1980
- M.S. in education, University of Southern California, 1975
- B.S., United States Military Academy, West Point, 1970
- “Diffusion of Steam-Powered Firefighting Equipment in the United States: Innovation Adoption at the Municipal Level,” Economics of Innovation and New Technology (with E. Falaris and B. Abrams), forthcoming 2018.
- “Convergence in the Nineteenth Century: The Role of Capital Abundance in Determining County Population Growth in the Northeast United States,” Eastern Economic Journal, (with B. Abrams and J. Li), January 2013.
- “Government Intervention to Prevent Bankruptcy: The Effect of Blind-Bidding Laws on Movie Theaters,” Economic Inquiry (with D. Wedzielewski), October 2012.
- “Market Size, Service Quality and Competition in the U.S. Down-hill Ski Industry,” Applied Economics Letters, 2011.
- “Vintage Effects and the Diffusion of Time-Saving Technological Innovations,” The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy (Advances) (with E.Falaris and N.Das), Vol. 9, Issue 1 (2009).
- “Did Corliss Steam Engines Fuel Urban Growth in the Late Nineteenth Century? Less Sanguine Results,” The Journal of Economic History (with Burt Abrams and Jing Li), Vol. 68, No. 4 (December 2008).
- “Persistent Adoption of Time-saving Process Innovations,” (with Nilotpal Das) The Economics of Persistent Innovation, 2006.
- “Market Segmentation and the Diffusion of Quality-Enhancing Innovations: The Case of Down-Hill Skiing,” (with E. Llinares) The Review of Economics and Statistics, Vol. 85, No. 3 (August 2003). Included in Recent Developments in the Economics of Sport, edited by Wladimir Andreff as part of The International Library of Critical Writings in Economics published by Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd, 2011.
Awards & Honors
- Visiting professor, Faculté de Sciences Economiques et de Gestion, Université Lumière (Lyon 2), Lyon, France, 1992,1994
- Visiting professor, Ecole Supérieure de Commerce de Lyon, Ecully, France, 1987
- Outstanding M.B.A. Teacher Award, University of Delaware
- Grants: CISMER, University of Delaware; College of Education, University of Minnesota; New Castle County Executive Office; Power Partners
Download James Mulligan’s CV (PDF)