Title Assistant Professor of Economics
Office 416A Purnell Hall
Phone (302) 831-1900
- Ph.D. in economics, Harvard University, 2007
- A.B. in physics, Harvard University, 1999
- “Payday Loan Choices and Consequences” (with Neil Bhutta and Paige Marta Skiba), Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, 47(2-3), 2015, 223-260.
- “Dynamics of Demand for Index Insurance: Evidence from a Long-Run Field Experiment” (with Shawn Cole and Daniel Stein), American Economic Review Papers & Proceedings, 104(5), 2014, 284-90.
- “Dangerous Liquidity and the Demand for Health Care: Evidence from the 2008 Stimulus Payments” (with Tal Gross), Journal of Human Resources, Spring 2014, 49(2), 424-445.
- “Barriers to Household Risk Management: Evidence from India” (with Shawn Cole, Xavier Gine, Petia Topalova, Robert Townsend, and James Vickery), American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, 5(1), Jan 2013, 104-35.
- “Marketing Complex Financial Products in Emerging Markets: Evidence from Rainfall Insurance in India” (with Sarthak Gaurav and Shawn Cole), Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 48(SPL), Nov 2011, S150-162.
- “Payday Loans and Credit Cards: New Liquidity and Credit Scoring Puzzles?” (with Sumit Agarwal and Paige Marta Skiba), American Economic Review Papers & Proceedings, 99(2), 2009, 412-17.
- “Endogenous Effective Discounting, Credit Constraints, and Wealth Inequality.” American Economic Review Papers & Proceedings, 99(2), 2009, 369-373.
- “A Debt Puzzle” (with David Laibson and Andrea Repetto), in Knowledge, Information, and Expectations in Modern Economics: In Honor of Edmund S. Phelps, Eds. Philippe Aghion, Roman Frydman, Joseph Stiglitz, and Michael Woodford, Princeton University Press, 2003.
- “The Hyperbolic Buffer Stock Model: Calibration, Simulation, and Empirical Evaluation” (with George-Marios Angeletos, David Laibson, Andrea Repetto, and Stephen Weinberg), Journal of Economic Perspectives, 15(3), Summer 2001, 47-68.
- “Self-Control and Saving for Retirement” (with David Laibson and Andrea Repetto), Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, 1998(1), 91-172.