Jiaheng Xie is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Accounting and MIS at the University of Delaware’s Alfred Lerner College of Business and Economics. His research interests lie in interpretable deep learning, health risk analytics and business analytics. His dissertation, titled “Big Data-Based Health Risk Analytics: A Deep Learning Approach” develops novel deep learning methods to understand, predict and mitigate three levels of critically important health risks: patient behavioral risk, disease risk and policy risk. His prior works have been published at many premier journals, including MIS Quarterly, Journal of Management Information Systems (JMIS), and Journal of American Medical Informatics Association (JAMIA).
- Ph.D. in MIS, University of Arizona
- B.A. in management science, Renmin University
- Xie, J., Liu, X., Zeng, D., & Fang, X. (2022). Understanding Medication Nonadherence from Social Media: A Sentiment-Enriched Deep Learning Approach. MIS Quarterly, 46(1), 341-372.
- Xie, J., Zhang, B., Ma, J., Zeng, D., & Lo-Ciganic, J. (2022) Readmission Prediction for Patients with Heterogeneous Medical History: A Trajectory-Based Deep Learning Approach. ACM Transactions on Management Information Systems (TMIS), 14(2), 1-27.
- Xie, J., Zhang, Z., Liu, X., & Zeng, D. (2021). Unveiling the Hidden Truth of Drug Addiction: A Social Media Approach Using Similarity Network-Based Deep Learning. Journal of Management Information Systems (JMIS), 38(1), 166-195.
- Xie, J., Zhang, B., Brown, S., & Zeng, D. (2021). Write Like a Pro or an Amateur? Effect of Medical Language Formality. ACM Transactions on Management Information Systems (TMIS), 12(3), 1-25.
- Xie, J., Liu, X., & Zeng, D. (2018). Mining E-cigarette Adverse Events in Social Media Using Bi-LSTM Recurrent Neural Network with Word Embedding Representation. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association (JAMIA) (IF: 4.27). 25 (1), 72-80.
- Xie, J., Zeng, D., and Marcum, Z. A. (2017). Using Deep Learning to Improve Medication Safety: the Untapped Potential of Social Media. Therapeutic Advances in Drug Safety (IF: 2.84). 8 (12), 375-377.
Awards & Honors
- SWUFE-UD Joint Educational Institute (JEI) Research Fellow, 2022
- Best Paper Award Winner, Workshop on Information Technologies and Systems (WITS), 2021
- PI, “Understanding Health Misinformation Transmission: An Interpretable Deep Learning Approach to Manage Infodemics,” General University Research (GUR) Grant, University of Delaware, 2021
- Doctoral Consortium Fellow, International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), 2019
- Doctoral Consortium Fellow, Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS), 2019
- James F. LaSalle Teaching Excellence Award, The University of Arizona, 2019
- Best Paper Runner-Up, International Conference for Smart Health (ICSH), 2019
- Doctoral Consortium Fellow, Conference on Health IT and Analytics (CHITA), 2018
- Best Paper Runner-Up, International Conference for Smart Health (ICSH), 2018
- Nunamaker-Chen MIS Doctoral Scholarship, The University of Arizona, 2015