Joanne Jung-Eun Yoo
Joanne Jung-Eun Yoo is an associate professor in the Department of Hospitality Business Management. Prior to joining the University of Delaware in 2010, she was an assistant professor at the University Houston’s Conrad N. Hilton College of Hotel and Restaurant Management.
Dr. Yoo has several years of tourism/hospitality industry experience across the globe. She worked for Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) in Thailand as an assistant director of the Strategic Intelligence Center. Previously, she worked as an inflight interpreter for KLM Royal Dutch Airlines in the Netherlands.
Her educational background is also very global – she has earned degrees in South Korea (BA), Australia (MBA) and Hong Kong (Ph.D.)
As a HBM faculty member, she teaches cross-cultural communication and meeting/convention management courses for undergraduates and a data analysis course for graduate students. Her research interests largely focus on tourism/hospitality marketing and convention management, areas in which she has published a number of articles in top tier tourism/hospitality journals including Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, Tourism Management, Journal of Travel Research, Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research, International Journal of Hospitality Management, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, and Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing.
Dr. Yoo is a certified hospitality educator (CHE) designated by the American Hotel and Lodging Association.
- Ph.D. in hotel and tourism management, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University in Hong Kong
- M.B.A. with concentration in tourism management, Griffith University in Australia
- B.A. in german language and literature, Ewha Womans University in South Korea
- Yoo, J., Kim, T., & Lee, G. (2015). When customers complain: The value of customer orientation in service recovery, Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, 56(4): 411-426.
- Basoglu, A., & Yoo, J. (2015). Soon or later?: Effect of time distance on travel decisions, Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing, 32 (Sup1): S62-75.
- Yoo, J., Zhou, Y., Lu, T., & Kim, T. (2014). The moderating effects of resident characteristics on perceived gaming impacts and gaming industry support: The case of Macao, Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing, 31(2):229–250.
- Kim, T., Yoo, J., Lee, G., & Kim, J. (2012). Emotional intelligence and emotional labor acting strategies among hotel frontline employees, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 24(7): 1029 – 1046.
- Kim, T., Yoo, J., & Lee, G. (2012). Post-recovery customer relationships and customer partnerships in a restaurant setting, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 24(3): 381- 401.
- Yoo, J., & Zhao, X. (2010). Revisiting determinants of convention participation decision-making, Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing. 27(2): 179-192.
- Yoo, J., & Chon, K. (2010). Temporal changes in factors affecting convention participation decision, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management. 22(1): 103-120.
- Yoo, J., & Chon, K. (2008). Factors affecting convention participation decision-making: Developing a measurement scale, Journal of Travel Research. 47(1): 113-122.
- Yoo, J., Shin, S., & Yang, I. (2005). Key attributes of internal service recovery strategies as perceived by frontline food service employees, International Journal of Hospitality Management. 25(3): 496-509.
- Yoo, J., & Weber, K. (2005). Progress in convention tourism research, Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research. 29(2): 194-222.