Katalin Takacs Haynes
Katalin Takacs Haynes is an award-winning associate professor of strategic management. Her research encompasses corporate governance, including executive compensation and board composition. Her work has appeared in Administrative Science Quarterly, Journal of Management, Journal of Management Studies and Strategic Management Journal among others. Her work on executive greed and hubris has been cited in the Washington Post and other global media outlets, as well as the London Business School Business Review for executives. She is the recipient of Administrative Science Quarterly’s Scholarly Impact Award.
Dr. Takacs Haynes currently serves as management area head. Previously she was faculty director for MBA and graduate programs at the Lerner College, academic director of the Christiana Pocket MBA, a collaborative education initiative between Christiana Care Health System and the Lerner College, and academic director of the Carol A. Ammon MBA Case Competition at the Lerner College.
- Ph.D. in business management, Arizona State University, 2007
- MBA – masters of international management dual degree, Arizona State University and Thunderbird, the American School of International Management, 2000
- M.A. in English and French, Eotvos Lorand University of Sciences, Budapest, Hungary
- B.A. in English and French, Eotvos Lorand University of Sciences, Budapest, Hungary
- Takacs Haynes, K., & Rašković, M. (2021). Living with corruption in Central and Eastern Europe: Social identity and the role of moral disengagement. Journal of Business Ethics, 174(4), 825-845.
- Takacs Haynes, K. 2021. Psychology of Greed. (2021). In A. W. Kruglanski, C. Kopetz, and E. Szumowska (Ed.), The Psychology of Extremism: A Motivational Perspective, pp. 203-229.
- Raskovic, M., & Takacs Haynes, K. (2020). (Re)discovering social identity theory: an agenda for multinational enterprise internalization theory. Multinational Business Review, 29(2), 145-165.
- Takacs Haynes, K., Zattoni, A., Boyd, B. K. & Minichilli, A. (2019). Figureheads or potentates? CEO power and board oversight in the context of Sarbanes Oxley. Corporate Governance: An International Review. https://doi.org/10.1111/corg.12293.
- Hitt, M. Takacs Haynes, K. (2018). CEO overpayment and underpayment: executives, governance and institutions. Management Research: Journal of the Iberoamerican Academy of Management, 16(1) 38-46.
- Takacs Haynes, K. Campbell, J & Hitt, M. A. (2017). When more is not enough: Executive greed and its influence on shareholder wealth. Journal of Management, 43(2), 555 – 584.
- Connelly, B.L., Takacs Haynes, K., Tihanyi, L., Gamache, D., & Devers, C. (2016). Minding the gap: Antecedents and consequences of top management-to-worker pay dispersion. Journal of Management, 42(4), 862-885. Youtube video about the study: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA37ASgvXSE.
- Takacs Haynes, K. T., Hitt, M. A., & Campbell, J. T. (2015). The dark side of leadership: Towards a mid‐range theory of hubris and greed in entrepreneurial contexts. Journal of Management Studies, 52(4), 479-505.
- Takacs Haynes, K., Hitt, M. A., Josefy, M. (2015). Tipping points: How self-interest turns into greed, or altruism. Journal of Leadership and Organizational Studies, 22(3), 265-279. Featured in the London Business School Review in Dec. 2015. http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/businessreview/2015/12/18/altruist-ceos-can-be-as-risky-asgreedy-ones/
- Takacs Haynes, K. (2014). Something old, something new: Culture and CEO compensation revisited. American Journal of Business, 29(1), 5-25.
- Boyd, B. K., Takacs Haynes, K. T., Hitt, M. A., Ketchen, D. & Bergh, D. (2012). Contingency hypotheses in strategic management research: Use, disuse, or misuse? Journal of Management, 38(1), 278-313.
- Boyd, B. K., Takacs Haynes, K. & Zona, F. (2011). Dimensions of CEO-board relations. Journal of Management Studies, 48(8), 1467-1923.
- Takacs Haynes K. & Hillman, A. (2010). Board capital, strategic change and CEO power. Strategic Management Journal, 31(11), 1145-1163.
- Hitt, M. A., Takacs Haynes, K. & Serpa, R. (2010). Strategic leadership in the twenty-first century. Business Horizons, 53(5), 437-453.
- Gomez-Mejia, L.R., Takacs Haynes, K., Nunez-Nickel, M., Jacobson, K. J. L. and Moyano-Fuentes, J. (2007). Socioemotional wealth and business risks in family controlled firms: Evidence from Spanish olive mills, Administrative Science Quarterly, 52(1), 106-137.
Awards & Honors
- Bancroft Construction Faculty Fellowship awarded in 2018
- Administrative Science Quarterly Scholarly Impact Award for “Gomez-Mejia, Takacs Haynes, Nunez-Nickel, Jacobson, and Moyano-Fuentes, J. , ASQ, 2007,” 2013
- Greif Research Impact Award, Greif Center for Entrepreneurial Studies at the University of Southern California for “Gomez-Mejia, Takacs Haynes, Nunez-Nickel, Jacobson, and Moyano-Fuentes, J., ASQ, 2007,” 2013
- General University Research Grant, University of Delaware, 2014
- Department of Business Administration Outstanding Scholarship Award, 2014
- American Journal of Business Outstanding Reviewer Award, 2014
Emerald Literati Network Outstanding Reviewer Award, 2014
Lerner College Outstanding Junior Faculty Award, 2015
MBA Teaching Award for outstanding teaching in the MBA Program of the Lerner College of Business and Economics, 2013