Scott K. Jones
Dr. Scott Jones is a professor of accounting in the Department of Accounting & Management Information Systems at the University of Delaware Alfred Lerner College of Business and Economics. He is also an affiliated faculty member of the University of Delaware College of Engineering’s Center for Composite Materials. Dr. Jones is chairman of the board of directors of the Delaware Innovation Fund, an early stage venture capital fund in Wilmington Delaware. He is a member of the board of directors and chair of the Audit Committee of Junior Achievement of Delaware.
Dr. Jones has developed cost modeling methodology and has participated in many funded research programs in advanced materials with the Office of Naval Research, NSF, DARPA and US Army. Dr. Jones has advised numerous technology companies on the development of business plans and financial projections. He and colleagues launched Pair Technologies, LLC and Resonate Forward, LLC from the University of Delaware’s IP portfolio, receiving multiple SBIR/STTR grants to fund commercialization. He is founder and past director of the University of Delaware’s Venture Development Center.
Dr. Jones teaches courses in strategic cost management and control systems in the Lerner College’s graduate business programs, and entrepreneurship and private equity courses in conjunction with the University’s College of Engineering. Dr. Jones has published articles in journals that include the Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, Journal of Business Ethics, Advances in Management Accounting, The Accounting Review, The International Journal of Materials and Product Technology, and has contributed to several editions of Marks’ Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers.
He received his Ph.D. from Drexel University.
- Ph.D. in accounting, Drexel University, PA
- MBA, Shippensburg University, PA
- B.S., Shippensburg, PA
- Professional License: US Coast Guard- No. 2889110, Master
- Jones, S., Teri, M. “Cost comparison of alternative consolidation Methods for large scale Structures”. Proceedings of the Society for the Advancement of Materials and Process Engineers, May 21, 2012, Baltimore, MD.
- “Startup Companies: Taking your idea from Lab to Commercialization” Pittsburg Conference on Analytical Chemistry, March 13, 2011, Atlanta Georgia. (Invited Paper)
- “Cost Accounting” in Marks Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers, Eleventh edition, Eugene Avallone and Theodore Burmeister, eds. McGraw-Hill Book Company: New York. 2007.
- Jones, S., Heider, D., of the Center for Composite Materials at the University of Delaware, with Hart, B., of the Army Research Laboratory, (2004). Cost Modeling for CAV Armor Panel Technical Report.
- “The Relevance of Activity-Based Management Support for Composite Structures Design,” Advances in Management Accounting, vol. 7 (1999): 1-24. (with D. Wright and V. Karbhari)
- “Hybrid Methodology for Quantifying the Cost and Productivity of Manufacturing Scenarios for the Automated Fiber Placement of Aircraft Skins,” SAMPE Technical Conference, vol. 43 no. 1 (June 1998): 44-55. (with Raciti, R., Stolfo, K., Steiner, K. V., & Lamontia, M)
- “Process and Cost Modelling of the Metal Foam Technology Based on Computer-Aided Simulations,” Technical Report, Fraunhofer USA, March 1998. (with M. Schimmelpfennig and H. Eifert)
- “From Balance Sheet to Income Statement: A Study of a Transition in Accounting Thought in the U.S., 1926-1936,” Accounting, Auditing, & Accountability, vol. 10 no.2 (1997): 198-211. (with D. Buckmaster).
- “Organizational Influence in a Model of the Moral Decision Process of Accountants,” Journal of Business Ethics, 14 (1995): 417-431. (with K. Hiltebeitel).
- “Eliminating Unnecessary Activities,” NAPM Insights, (December 1994): 8-9 (with M. Pohlen).
Awards & Honors
- Bronze Leadership Award, Junior Achievement USA, June 2017
- Lerner College Outstanding Outreach/Service Award, 2010
- Junior Achievement Outstanding Leadership Award, 2009
- VP of Finance/CFO, PAIR Technologies, LLC, Newark, DE, 2005 – present
- Member, board of directors, Delaware Innovation Fund, 2005 – present
- Member, Delaware Economic Development Authority Pre-Venture Fund Board, 2006 – present
- Associate dean, University of Delaware College of Business and Economics, 1997 – 2002
- Director, University of Delaware Entrepreneurial Studies Program, 2006 – 2010
- Director, University of Delaware Venture Development Center, 2008 – 2010