Scott K. Jones
Dr. Scott Jones is a professor of accounting at the University of Delaware Alfred Lerner College of Business and Economics, and is an affiliated faculty member of the University of Delaware College of Engineering’s Center for Composite Materials. Dr. Jones is chairman of the board of directors of the Delaware Innovation Fund, an early stage venture capital fund in Wilmington Delaware. He is a member of the board of directors and chair of the Audit Committee of Junior Achievement of Delaware.
Dr. Jones has developed cost modeling methodology and has participated in many funded research programs in advanced materials with the Office of Naval Research, NSF, DARPA and US Army. Dr. Jones has advised numerous technology companies on the development of business plans and financial projections. He and colleagues launched Pair Technologies, LLC and Resonate Forward, LLC from the University of Delaware’s IP portfolio, receiving multiple SBIR/STTR grants to fund commercialization. He is founder and past director of the University of Delaware’s entrepreneurship program and Venture Development Center.
Dr. Jones has published articles in journals that include the Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, Journal of Business Ethics, Advances in Management Accounting, The Accounting Review, The International Journal of Materials and Product Technology, and has contributed to several editions of Marks’ Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers.
Dr. Jones is former Chairperson of the Department of Accounting & MIS, and has served several times as Associate Dean of the Lerner College.
- Ph.D. in accounting, Drexel University, PA
- MBA, Shippensburg University, PA
- B.S., Shippensburg, PA
- Professional License: US Coast Guard- No. 2889110, Master
- Tucker, J. and Jones, S. “Environmental, Social, and Governance Investing: Investor Demand, Generational Wealth, the Great Wealth Transfer, Avoiding the Great Financial Advisor Transfer, and Strategies for ESG Investing,”, Journal of Financial Service Professionals, May 2020.
- Tucker, J. and Jones, S. “Diversity Continues to Challenge the Financial Services Industry: Benefits, Financial Performance, Demographics, Impediments to Progress, and Best Practices”, Journal of Financial Services Professionals, January 2019.
- Jones, S., Teri, M. “Cost comparison of alternative consolidation Methods for large scale Structures”. Proceedings of the Society for the Advancement of Materials and Process Engineers, May 21, 2012, Baltimore, MD.
- “Startup Companies: Taking your idea from Lab to Commercialization” Pittsburg Conference on Analytical Chemistry, March 13, 2011, Atlanta Georgia. (Invited Paper)
- “Cost Accounting” in Marks Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers, Eleventh edition, Eugene Avallone and Theodore Burmeister, eds. McGraw-Hill Book Company: New York. 1997, 2007.
- Jones, S., Heider, D., of the Center for Composite Materials at the University of Delaware, with Hart, B., of the Army Research Laboratory, (2004). Cost Modeling for CAV Armor Panel Technical Report.
- “The Relevance of Activity-Based Management Support for Composite Structures Design,” Advances in Management Accounting, vol. 7 (1999): 1-24. (with D. Wright and V. Karbhari)
- “Hybrid Methodology for Quantifying the Cost and Productivity of Manufacturing Scenarios for the Automated Fiber Placement of Aircraft Skins,” SAMPE Technical Conference, vol. 43 no. 1 (June 1998): 44-55. (with Raciti, R., Stolfo, K., Steiner, K. V., & Lamontia, M)
- “Process and Cost Modelling of the Metal Foam Technology Based on Computer-Aided Simulations,” Technical Report, Fraunhofer USA, March 1998. (with M. Schimmelpfennig and H. Eifert)
- “From Balance Sheet to Income Statement: A Study of a Transition in Accounting Thought in the U.S., 1926-1936,” Accounting, Auditing, & Accountability, vol. 10 no.2 (1997): 198-211. (with D. Buckmaster).
- “Organizational Influence in a Model of the Moral Decision Process of Accountants,” Journal of Business Ethics, 14 (1995): 417-431. (with K. Hiltebeitel).
- “The Association Between Executive Succession and Discretionary Accounting Changes: Earnings Management or Different Perspectives?” Journal of Business, Finance, and Accounting, vol. 20(5) (September 1993): 653-672. (with R. LaSalle and R. Jain)
- “A Comment on A Multidimensional Analysis of Selected Ethical Issues in Accounting,”The Accounting Review, vol. 68, no. 2 (April 1993): 411-416. (with L. Ponemon)
- Utility Filing (UD 19-14) Vibrational Device and Methods for Mitigating Symptoms of Freezing of Gait, PCT/US 19/65952. Filed Dec 12, 2019.
- Utility Filing (UD 17-28) Vibrational Device for Intervention of Health-Related Conditions in Patients, PCT/US 16/374090. Filed April 3, 2019.
Awards & Honors
- NASBA Center for Public Trust “Campus Being a Difference Award”, May 2018
- William Markell Faculty Excellence in Service Award, 2018
- Bronze Leadership Award, Junior Achievement USA, June 2017
- Lerner College Outstanding Outreach/Service Award, 2010
- Junior Achievement Outstanding Leadership Award, 2009
- VP of Finance/CFO, PAIR Technologies, LLC, Newark, DE, 2005 – 2015
- CFO and Legal Affairs Partner, Resonate Forward, LLC 2017- present
- Member, Board of Directors, Delaware Innovation Fund, 2005 – 2018
- Member, Delaware Economic Development Authority Pre-Venture Fund Board, 2006 – 2009
- Chairperson, Department of Accounting & MIS 2012-2017
- Associate dean, University of Delaware College of Business and Economics, 1997 – 2002; 2017 – 2019
- Director, University of Delaware Entrepreneurial Studies Program, 2006 – 2010
- Director, University of Delaware Venture Development Center, 2008 – 2010