Sharon Watson is a professor of management at the University of Delaware. She has published studies on cross-border mergers and acquisitions, the management of foreign subsidiaries, international aspects of top management compensation and the effects of cultural differences on behavior in organizations. Her research has won several awards and has been published in the Academy of Management Journal, Strategic Management Journal, Journal of Management Studies, Management International Review, Journal of International Management, Cross-Cultural Management and others. She has served on the Editorial Board of the Journal of Management and Journal of International Management.
Dr. Watson teaches courses in strategic management and international business in the Lerner College’s undergraduate and MBA programs and regularly teaches in the University of Delaware’s Honors Program. She has published research on teaching and has presented several times at the University of Delaware’s Faculty Institute. Dr. Watson won the Lerner College Outstanding Teacher Award and the UD Online Innovative Teaching Award.
- Ph.D. in international business and strategic management, University of South Carolina, 1997
- M.B.A., University of Buffalo, 1989
- B.A. in psychology and art history, Dartmouth College, 1984
- Hoffman, R., Munemo, J. & Watson, S. (2016) “International Franchise Expansion: The Role of Institutions and Transaction Costs.” Journal of International Management, 22 (2): 101-114.
- Watson, S. & Sutton, J. (2012) “An Examination of the Effectiveness of Case Method Teaching Online: Does the Technology Matter?” Journal of Management Education, 36(6): 802-821.
- Won Highly Commended Article Award – Emerald Publishing’s Literati Network Awards for Excellence 2012.
- Kernan, M.C., Watson, S., Chen, F. F. & Kim, T.G. (2011) “How Cultural Values Affect the Impact of Abusive Supervision on Worker Attitudes.” Cross Cultural Management: An International Journal, 18 (4): 464-484.
- Kor, Y. Y., Mahoney, J. T. & Watson, S. (2008) “The effects of demand, competitive, and technological uncertainty on board monitoring and institutional ownership of IPO firms.” Journal of Management and Governance, 12 (3): 239-259.
- Watson, S. & Hewett, K. (2006) “A Multi-Theoretical Model of Knowledge Transfer in Organizations: Determinants of Knowledge Contribution and Knowledge Reuse.” Journal of Management Studies, 43 (2): 141-173.
- Subramaniam, M. & Watson, S. (2006) “How Interdependence Affects Subsidiary Performance.” Journal of Business Research, 59 (8): 916-924.
- O’Donnell, S. W. (2000) “Managing Foreign Subsidiaries: Agents of Headquarters or an Interdependent Network?” Strategic Management Journal, 21 (5): 525-548.
- O’Donnell, S. & Jeong, I. (2000) “Marketing Standardization within Global Industries: An Empirical Study of Performance Implications.” International Marketing Review, 17 (1): 19-33.
- Received MCB University Press Literati Club Award for Excellence: 2001 Highly Commended Article Award.
- Reprinted in Czinkota, M. & Rokainen, I. (2002) Best Practices in International Marketing. New York: South-Western College Publishing.
- O’Donnell, S. (1999) “Compensation Design as a Tool for Implementing Foreign Subsidiary Strategy.” Management International Review, 39 (2): 149-165.
- Roth, K. & O’Donnell, S. (1996) “Foreign Subsidiary Compensation Strategy: An Agency Theory Perspective.” Academy of Management Journal, 39 (3): 678-703.
- Abstracted in Harvard Business Review, 1996, Vol. 74 (2): 11-12.
- Reprinted in Paliwoda, S.J. & Ryans, J.K., Jr., eds. (2008) International Marketing: Modern and Classic Papers. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar Publishing, Ltd.
Awards & Honors
- Outstanding Teacher Award, Lerner College of Business & Economics, for outstanding contributions to the educational mission of the Lerner College of Business and Economics, 2016
- Outstanding Faculty Award, Department of Business Administration, University of Delaware, 2014
- Academic Partnerships Faculty Research Grant, 2014
- Highly Commended Article Award, Emerald Publishing’s Literati Club Award for Excellence, 2012
- Best Paper Award, AIB Midwest Conference, 2010
- Innovative Teaching Award, UD Online, University of Delaware, 2008
- International Research Award, Center for International Studies, University of Delaware, 2008
- Nominated for University of Delaware Faculty Senate Excellence in Teaching Award, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Nominated for MBA Teaching Award, Alfred Lerner College of Business & Economics, 2007, 2015, 2016
- Highly Commended Article Award, MCB University Press Literati Club Award for Excellence, 2001