Dr. Sheryl F. Kline is the Deputy Dean of Alfred Lerner College of Business and Economics and Professor in the Department of Hospitality Business Management at the University of Delaware (UD). Prior to joining UD, she served as Interim Dean and Associate Dean in the College of Hospitality, Retail, and Sport Management at the University of South Carolina (USC) Columbia, SC. She developed her interest in research while at Purdue University where she held the position of C B Smith Professor in the School of Hospitality and Tourism Management and was the Director for the Center for the Study of Lodging Operations. She began her academic career at Widener University’s School of Hospitality Management. Prior to joining academia, she had a successful career as a manager in the casino hotel and resort industry and has over a decade of hospitality industry experience.
She teaches courses in hospitality management at both the graduate and undergraduate level and enjoys mentoring graduate students and doing research. She is an active member of industry associations including the International Council of Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education (I-CHRIE), the American Hotel and Lodging Association, and the Delaware Restaurant Association and has served on their boards. Dr. Kline is a recipient of several teaching awards including the I-CHRIE John Wiley and Sons Award for Innovation in Teaching, and the McCool Breakthrough Award in Hospitality Education. While at USC she was selected as an Academic Leadership Fellow for the South Eastern Conference (SEC). Most recently she was recognized as one of 40 women in the state of Delaware as Delaware Business Women of the Year by Delaware Today Magazine.
- Ph.D., in organizational psychology, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
- M.S. Hospitality Administration, University of Nevada, Las Vegas
- B.A., Economics and English, Rutgers College, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ
- DiPietro, R. B., Kline, S. F., & Nierop, T. (2014). Motivation and Satisfaction of Lodging Employees: An Exploratory Study of Aruba. Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality & Tourism, 13(3), 253-276. doi:10.1080/15332845.2014.866466
- Kline, S. Almanza, B and Neal, J., In Almanza, B., Ghiselli, R. and Mahmood, K. (2014) (Eds.) Guest room cleaning: A systematic approach. In Food safety: Researching the hazard in hazardous foods London, UK, CRC Press Taylor and Francis Co.
- Torres, E., & Kline, S.F. (2013). From customer satisfaction to customer delight: Creating a new standard of service for the hotel. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management.
- Smith, S. L., & Kline, S. F. (2010). Crisis preparedness and meeting planner perceptions. Journal of Convention and Event Tourism 11(1), 62-78.
- Kline, S. F., Adler, H., Ghiselli, R., & Huang, S. (2008). General managers in mid-scale hotels: Are they plateaued? Florida International University (FIU) Hospitality Review. 26 (1), 21-31.
- Kline, S. F., & Harris, K. (2008). ROI is MIA: Why are hoteliers failing to demand the ROI of training. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management. 20 (1), 45-59.
- Kline, S. F., & Hsieh, Y. C. (2007). Wage differentials in the lodging industry: A Case study. Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality and Tourism. 6 (1) 69-84.
- Kline, S. F., Frash, R., & Stahura, J. (2004). Empowering individual effort in cooperative learning. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Education, 16 (4), 35-43.
- Kline, S. F., & Sullivan, W. (2002). Hotel front office simulation. New York, NY: John Wiley and Sons.
- Hashimoto, K., Kline, S. F., & Fenich, G. (1997). Casino management: Past present and future. 2nd ed. Dubuque, IA: Kendall/Hunt Publishing Co.
Awards & Honors
- Delaware Business Women of the Year by Delaware Today Magazine, 2015
- Academic Leadership Development Fellow for the South Eastern Conference (SEC), University of South Carolina, 2008
- John Wiley and Sons Award for Innovation in Teaching, International Council of Hotel Restaurant, Institutional Education, 2007
- Mary L. Mathews Teaching Excellence, Award College of Consumer & Family Science (CFS), Purdue University, 2007
- C. B. Smith Endowed Professorship of Hotel Management, Purdue University, 2001-2007
- McCool Breakthrough Award for Noteworthy Innovation in Hospitality Education, International Council of Hotel, Restaurant, & Institutional Education, 2006
- Arnold I Cohen Faculty Development Endowed Award for Faculty Commitment to Develop Research, Department of Hospitality and Tourism Management, Purdue University, 2005
- Bruce Lazarus Award for Teaching Excellence, Department of Hospitality and Tourism Management, Purdue University, 2005