Billy Rawstrom, a Newark, DE native, started his culinary journey cooking for many local restaurants. After several years of traveling, Billy settled in Charleston, SC where he went to Johnson and Wales University, graduating first in his class with a bachelor’s of science in food service management. Billy stayed in Charleston for his master’s degree from The Citadel in education – social science.
After graduating from The Citadel, Billy taught for three years at Virginia Intermont College in their culinary arts department. Billy and his family then moved back to Delaware where he taught another 2 years at Delaware Technical and Community College.
In November of 2009, Billy opened his own business, Maiale Deli and Salumeria. He has won several awards as Chef/Owner of Maiale, including 4 Delaware Burger Battle trophies, 3 “Best of Delaware” Delaware Today awards, and a spotlight on Food TV’s Diner’s, Drive In’s and Dives. Billy has a passion for cooking and teaching, and loves passing on his knowledge to the students at UD.
- Master’s in education – social science, The Citadel
- Bachelor of science – food service management, Johnson and Wales University
- Associate of Arts – culinary arts
Awards & Honors
- Delaware Today Magazine Best of Delaware – Best Chef, 2020
- Season 30 Episode 7, International Infusion, Diner’s, Drive In’s and Dives, 2019
- Delaware Burger Battle Judge’s Choice Winner, 2019
- Delaware Burger Battle Best Alternative Winner, 2019
- Delaware Burger Battle People’s Choice Winner, 2017
- Delaware Burger Battle People’s Choice Winner, 2015
- Delaware Today magazine, Best of Delaware – Best Sandwiches, 2015
- Delaware Today magazine, Best of Delaware – Best Salumeria Upstate, 2010
- Food and Beverage Director’s Award, Johnson and Wales University, Highest GPA, 2004
- President’s Award, Johnson and Wales University, for GPA and service to the University, 2004