Women’s Leadership Initiative
Our world benefits from diverse leadership and a myriad of voices seeking to address some of the world’s greatest challenges. Yet, around the world we fail to create the conditions to advance women. The Women’s Leadership Initiative (WLI) at the University of Delaware (UD) addresses these challenges by building powerful opportunities to advance diversity and inclusion in service of a more just and sustainable world. Our mission is to advance gender equity in leadership. To do so, we provide advocacy, education and research that enable engagement in powerful conversations and build critical skills that can support women and advance equity and inclusion.
Events and Programs
Women’s Leadership Initiative programs and educational events bring together students, faculty, alumni and the executive community to address gender and leadership issues in our society. Women are empowered to have more confidence and competence in achieving their goals and men have greater understanding of how and why to support women.
Listen on: Spotify | Apple | Amazon
News: Women’s Leadership Initiative
- Half a World From Home, Displaced Afghan Women Thrive at UD - In honor of International Women’s Day, the Women’s Leadership Initiative is dedicating a social media campaign to the voices of a few of the 14 displaced Afghan students pursuing their education at UD
- Former Gore CEO Terri Kelly Discusses Leading Through Paradox in Chaplin Tyler Lecture - Kelly discussed leading through paradox during a fireside chat with UD professor Wendy Smith during this year’s Chaplin Tyler Lecture series. Kelly, the current UD Board of Trustees chair, was a subject in a book co-authored by Smith entitled Both/And Thinking: Embracing Creative Tensions to Solve Your Toughest Problems.
- Smith Named Highly Cited Researcher for Fourth Year in a Row - Wendy Smith, Dana J. Johnson Professor of Management, has been named to the world’s “who’s who” list of most influential researchers for 2022.
- Marichu Valencia Tells Students Her Story of Success - At the WLI's ASCEND certificate program kickoff, Marichu Valencia inspired others to be confident in life, and to value collaboration and working with others.
- Using Both/And Thinking To Overcome Tension - Navigating work tensions correctly is necessary to thrive in business. Dana J. Johnson Professor of Management Wendy Smith spoke with a four-member panel of women business leaders about how they did so during a recent webinar.
Thank you to the Women’s Leadership Initiative Advisory Board for providing governance, advice and support for all of our activities.
Founder and CEO
Bold Story Press
Kristen Clendaniel Clark ‘90
Founder & President
Bouquet Garni Consulting, LLC
Richard Corcoran ’98
Managing Director / Private Wealth Advisor
Tamara Ganc ‘94
Sr. Learning Solutions Expert
McKinsey & Co.
CEO, Chief Client Services Officer
Arlene Hogan ‘76
Charlie Horn ‘75
Founder and Chairman
Terri Kelly ‘83
W.L. Gore & Associates, Inc.
Mary Ellen Payne ‘78
SVP, Sales & Marketing (retired)
Bonita E. Penn
Family Nurse Practitioner
St. Francis Hospital
Jennifer Rowland ’90
Chief Financial Officer/Chief Audit Executive, CPA, CMA
Girls With Impact
Susan Sears ‘78
Global VP, Diversity & Inclusion (retired)
Michael Sicuranza ‘95
Affinity Wealth Management, LLC
Amy Stengel ’96
Head of Learning and Development
Nicole Jeter West ‘99
Head of Marketing and Brand Engagement
For more information about the initiative or any of its programs, contact: