Women’s Leadership Initiative
Diversity matters. Different perspectives, thoughts and ideas lead to more sustainable, creative and powerful groups and institutions. Women’s influence can make a difference in the world, yet we still face discrimination, pay inequities, and remain a minority in leadership roles. In fact, at the rate we are going, it will take 170 years to reach global gender equality in health, education, economic and politics. However, companies with 50% of women in senior operating roles show a 19% higher return on equity.
The Women’s Leadership Initiative works with students, faculty, alumni and the executive community to address these issues by creating conditions for people to become gender savvy, enabling women to have more confidence and competence in achieving their goals and men to have greater understanding of how and why to support women.
Watch the video
See our calendar listings for additional programs and opportunities.
News: Women’s Leadership Initiative
- Smith Named Highly Cited Researcher for Fourth Year in a Row - Wendy Smith, Dana J. Johnson Professor of Management, has been named to the world’s “who’s who” list of most influential researchers for 2022.
- Marichu Valencia Tells Students Her Story of Success - At the WLI's ASCEND certificate program kickoff, Marichu Valencia inspired others to be confident in life, and to value collaboration and working with others.
- Using Both/And Thinking To Overcome Tension - Navigating work tensions correctly is necessary to thrive in business. Dana J. Johnson Professor of Management Wendy Smith spoke with a four-member panel of women business leaders about how they did so during a recent webinar.
- Academy of Management Elects UD’s Wendy Smith as a Fellow - Wendy Smith, Dana J. Johnson Professor of Management and co-director of the Women’s Leadership Initiative has been elected as a fellow of the Academy of Management (AOM), the leading professional organization for management scholars.
- UD Professor Wendy Smith Embraces Tensions To Find Lasting Solutions - University of Delaware’s Wendy Smith, Dana J. Johnson Professor of Management, recently co published “Both/And Thinking: Embracing Creative Tensions to Solve Your Toughest Problems.”
Thank you to the WLI Advisory Board for providing governance, advice and support for all of our activities.
Founder and CEO
Bold Story Press
Kristen Clendaniel Clark ‘90
Founder & President
Bouquet Garni Consulting, LLC
Richard Corcoran ’98
Managing Director / Private Wealth Advisor
Tamara Ganc ‘94
Sr. Learning Solutions Expert
McKinsey & Co.
CEO, Chief Client Services Officer
Arlene Hogan ‘76
Charlie Horn ‘75
Founder and Chairman
Terri Kelly ‘83
W.L. Gore & Associates, Inc.
Mary Ellen Payne ‘78
SVP, Sales & Marketing (retired)
Bonita E. Penn
Family Nurse Practitioner
St. Francis Hospital
Jennifer Rowland ’90
Chief Financial Officer/Chief Audit Executive, CPA, CMA
Girls With Impact
Susan Sears ‘78
Global VP, Diversity & Inclusion (retired)
Michael Sicuranza ‘95
Affinity Wealth Management, LLC
Amy Stengel ’96
Head of Learning and Development
Nicole Jeter West ‘99
Head of Marketing and Brand Engagement
For more information about the initiative or any of its programs, contact: