MBA Major in Business Analytics
In this field, you can expect to master the tools you’ll need to use data to leverage assets, optimize outcomes and predict future results.
Take advantage of career opportunities in a growing field, all in one central Delaware location — located within a few hours of Washington D.C., Baltimore, Philadelphia, the growing tech scene of Wilmington, Delaware and the financial centers of New York City. Learn from accomplished faculty, as well as your classmates’ own professional experiences in a diverse set of business fields.
Lerner’s state-of-the-art facilities are designed to foster collaboration among students, faculty and industry, such as the JPMorgan Chase Innovation Center and the Geltzeiler Trading Center.
96% of all students rated their overall educational experience within the Lerner Graduate and MBA programs as excellent or good
Additionally, the MBA with a major in business analytics qualifies as a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) OPT (Optional Practical Training) program. This allows international students in a technical field to apply for a 24-month extension to their OPT period.
MBA majors require 5 courses in a particular field. All courses are worth 3 credits unless otherwise stated.
ACCT 804 – Database Design (fall semester)
MISY 631 – Data Mining for Business Analytics (spring semester)
BUAD 621 – Decision Analytics and Visualization (fall semester)
BUAD 622 – Optimization and Spreadsheet Modeling (spring semester)
BUAD 625 – Business Analytics Capstone (spring semester)
Microsoft Excel Proficiency
Prior to enrolling in the business analytics major or concentration, you should be able demonstrate knowledge of the expert features and functions in Microsoft Excel. We recommend completing an online course offered by UDEMY.
Features and functions you must master include:
- VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP
- Pivot tables and charts
- Macro operations
- Business analyst
- Financial analyst
- Business analytics specialist
- Manager of operations planning & analytics
- Quantitative analytics consultant
- Digital marketing analyst
- Director of business intelligence
Top Lerner MBA Employers
- MBA Student Association - Tingru Nan, Class of 2020 MBA with a business analytics concentration, is the president of the MBA Student Association at the Lerner College. Nan shared why she joined MBASA, what makes this group unique and more!
- Join us for November MBA Walk-in Wednesdays - The Lerner MBA amplifies your knowledge, enhances your earning power and expands your career opportunities. Join us for our November MBA Walk-in Wednesdays from 4:00 to 7:00 p.m. on 6, 13 or 20 to learn how to get started.
- Join us at The MBA Tour in India - The University of Delaware’s Lerner College graduate admissions team will be at The MBA Tour India 2019. Meet with representatives and learn more about the UD Lerner MBA.
- The Odd Couple: STEM and Business - STEM-designated master’s degrees from the Lerner College equip today’s business graduates to drive change, creativity and advancements in any field and industry.
- The role of Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) in Business Analytics - In fields like business analytics that require an understanding of both management and technology, the term human-computer interaction (HCI) may come up on several occasions.
Learn more about MBA admissions requirements, deadlines, tuition and financial aid available to you.