Executive Mentors Scholars
The business community has long recognized the value of mentoring as a means of developing both its leaders and its future workforce. Business professionals who act as mentors and role models help students gain insights that allow these students to hone their skills in preparation for successful employment.
The Alfred Lerner College of Business & Economics is leading the way in developing this unique educational resource through its Executive Mentors-Scholars Program. This initiative establishes mentor-student relationships in which the executive’s professional background is complementary to the student’s career objectives.
Our unique program provides you with insights and skills development opportunities you can’t get anywhere else.
You’ll be paired with an executive whose professional background complements your career objectives. Through this mentoring relationship, you’ll have access to years of practical experience and knowledge.
Students apply during the spring semester. Undergraduates are eligible to apply during their sophomore year, begin their mentorships as juniors in the fall semester and conclude the experience at the end of their senior year.
Graduates apply during the spring semester as well.
- Build a one-on-one relationship with a business executive by meeting once or twice a semester.
- See how your academic studies relate to the business world and your career objectives.
- Get an insider’s view of a company and the industry in which it operates.
- Develop valuable networking skills.
- Work with your mentor to establish a schedule and develop an agenda with objectives for the academic year.
- Demonstrate professional, responsible behavior by following through on scheduled meetings and representing the Lerner College in corporate environments.
- At the completion of the experience, complete a brief assessment questionnaire.
- Use the Mentor Checklist as a guideline for activities.
THE APPLICATION PERIOD IS NOW OPEN FOR THE 2016-2018 YEAR.
RESOURCES FOR MENTORS AND MENTEES
The Importance of Mentors to College Students (article)
The Mentor’s Guide (PDF – CCC/The Mentoring Group)
The Mentee’s Guide (PDF – CCC/The Mentoring Group)
Skills for Successful Mentoring (PDF – CCC/The Mentoring Group)
75 Things to Do with Your Mentees (PDF – CCC/The Mentoring Group)
Mentor Checklist (PDF – Lerner College)