“Trailblazers who are making a difference while being exemplary corporate citizens and mentors to the next generation of business leaders.”
This is how Bruce Weber (pictured back row, left), dean of the University of Delaware’s Alfred Lerner College of Business and Economics, described the honorees at the college’s 27th annual Alumni Awards of Excellence, which took place at this year’s UD Alumni Weekend.
“As the dean of Lerner College, May and June are absolutely my favorite months here at UD,” Weber said. “It’s really an inspiring and pride-filled time, marked by student academic events, faculty tenure and promotion decisions, graduations for the Class of 2018, and now, celebrating the achievements of our alumni.”
“They join a prestigious group of past winners and I am proud to honor them tonight,” Weber said, nothing that nearly 100 Lerner graduates have been honored at this ceremony over the years.
This year’s honorees included:
- Matthew C. Cohen, assurance partner at EY, Class of ’89, B.S. in accounting (front row, second from left)
- Jeffrey L. Herbert, director and associate general counsel at Deutsche Bank, Class of ’01, B.S. in business administration (back row, middle)
- Michael J. McCafferty, director of the Launcher Entrepreneurship Program, Class of ’11, MA EEE (back row, second from right)
- Dennis J. Purcell, founder and senior advisor at Aisling Capital LLC., Class of ’77, B.S. in accounting (front row, right)
- Cameron E. Rice, managing director and global chief operating officer at Morgan Stanley, Class of ’96, B.S. in business administration (not pictured)
- John Collins, executive vice president of Cube Hydro Partners, LLC., Class of ’80, B.S. in business administration (2017 winner celebrated at this event) (front row, left)
The Rising Star Award was also presented to Esther Sportello (front row, second from right), who graduated with her bachelor’s of accounting in 2012. Sportello is an accomplished product manager at Capital One and an active Lerner College alumna.
Alyson Filippone (back row, second from left), partner at EY, Class of ’01, B.S. in accounting, and Joseph Biloon (back row, right) director and retirement planning specialist at Financial House, Inc., Class of ’99, B.S. in business administration, from the Lerner Alumni Board presented the awards.
Stay tuned this summer to the Lerner College Seeing Opportunity blog for a series of articles highlighting this year’s Alumni Awards of Excellence winners.