Bachelor of Science in Sport Management
The sport management major is designed to prepare you for a successful career in the multi-billion dollar sport industry.
As a sport management major, you’ll take courses that are specific to the sport management discipline, as well as business courses that will help you to develop quantitative analysis skills and an understanding of essential business concepts.
As a sport management graduate, you’ll find diverse and exciting career opportunities. These include careers in professional and minor league sports, intercollegiate and high school athletics, international and national sport governing bodies, sport agencies, sport facilities, businesses that use sports to market their products and sport marketing and event management firms.
Watch the video
The Lerner College sport management program will help you to go above and beyond your passion for sport by challenging you academically and providing you with practical experience outside the classroom. As part of this experience, you’ll complete a nine-credit internship during your senior year.
As a Lerner College sport management student, you will have access to a number of volunteer opportunities with the UD Athletic Department and other sport organizations in the area. Our goal is for you to gain as much practical experience as possible while developing professional networks within the sport industry.
Suggested Course Sequence
ECON 101 – Microeconomics
MATH 114 – College Mathematics and Statistics, MATH 115 – Pre-Calculus, MATH 117 – Pre-Calculus for Scientists and Engineers, MATH 221 – Calculus I or MATH 241 – Analytic Geometry and Calculus A
SPTM 210 – Introduction to Sport Management
BUAD 110 – Basics of Business
Natural sciences & technology breadth course
ENGL 110 – Seminar in Composition
ECON 103 – Macroeconomics
Creative arts & humanities breadth course
PSYC 100 – General Psychology
Natural sciences & technology breadth course with lab (4 credits)
ACCT 207 – Accounting I (Financial)
MISY 160 – Business Computing
STAT 200 – Basic Statistical Practice
SOCI course from Social & Behavioral Sciences
BUAD 301 – Introduction to Marketing
SPTM 311 – Practicum in Sport Management (1 credit)
ACCT 208 – Accounting II (Managerial)
SPTM 313 – Sport & Media
MISY 261 – Business Information Systems
COMM 212 – Public Speaking & Professional Presentation or HOSP 230 – Executive Presentations & Problem Solving
SPTM 315 – Legal Aspects of Sport Management
SPTM 417 – Sport Marketing
SPTM 418 – Sport Event & Facilities Management
BUAD 309 – Organizational Behavior
FINC 311 – Principles of Finance
SPTM 419 – Ethics & Issues in Sport Management
SPTM 314 – Financial Aspects of Sport Management
Social & behavioral sciences breadth course
SPTM 416 – International Sport Management
History & cultural change breadth course
BUAD 306 – Service & Operations Management
Sport management or hospitality elective
BUAD 441 – Strategic Management
Creative arts & humanities, history & cultural change or foreign language course
Free elective (multicultural requirement)
SPTM 464 – Sport Management Capstone Internship (9 credits)
Within 6 months of graduating, for the class of 2021, 96% of Lerner’s sport management graduates are employed (earning a mean starting salary of $43,948) or pursuing further education. For more information on career resources please visit the Lerner Career Services Center.
Some of the top employers of Lerner’s sport management graduates include:
- Philadelphia Eagles (NFL)
- National Football League
- Harris Blitzer Sports Entertainment
- Baltimore Orioles
- Comcast Spectacor
- Philadelphia 76ers
- PGA Tour
Job titles of recent graduates with a sport management degree include:
- Operations Coordinator
- Account Executive
- Inside Sales Consultant
- Sports Writer
- Communications and Events Assistant
Visit the Career Outcomes of Lerner sport management students to see more top employers, job titles, salaries and locations.
- Lifelong Lerner: Caroline Cherubini - As a member of the University of Delaware’s Alfred Lerner College of Business and Economics Class of 2023, Caroline Cherubini, sport management and marketing double major from Brewster, New York, has demonstrated remarkable dedication and resilience during her time at UD.
- American Hotel Lodging Association - Robert Kyle Dutrow, Class of 2025 hospitality business management major, is the president of the American Hotel Lodging Association at Lerner College. Dutrow shared why he joined the American Hotel Lodging Association and what makes this group unique!
- Business Impact of Phillies in the World Series - Lerner College Sport Management professors Matt Robinson and Tim DeSchriver say Phillies playing in the World Series helps local businesses, civic pride.
- My Summer Internship: Jack Ruble - Jack Ruble, class of 2023, sport management major with a minor in professional selling and sales management, spent his summer as a ticket sales intern with the Boston Celtics.
- UDREAM Program Helps Lerner Students Succeed - UDREAM peer mentors help new students pick classes, manage schedules and get involved in extracurricular activities to acclimate them to life at UD.
Contact our administrative team
Learn more about undergraduate admissions requirements, deadlines, tuition and financial aid available to you.