Bachelor of Science in Sport Management
The sport management major is designed to prepare you for a successful career in the multi-billion dollar sport industry.
As a sport management major, you’ll take courses that are specific to the sport management discipline, as well as business courses that will help you to develop quantitative analysis skills and an understanding of essential business concepts.
As a sport management graduate, you’ll find diverse and exciting career opportunities. These include careers in professional and minor league sports, intercollegiate and high school athletics, international and national sport governing bodies, sport agencies, sport facilities, businesses that use sports to market their products and sport marketing and event management firms.
The Lerner College sport management program will help you to go above and beyond your passion for sport by challenging you academically and providing you with practical experience outside the classroom. As part of this experience, you’ll complete a nine-credit internship during your senior year.
As a Lerner College sport management student, you will have access to a number of volunteer opportunities with the UD Athletic Department and other sport organizations in the area. Our goal is for you to gain as much practical experience as possible while developing professional networks within the sport industry.
Suggested Course Sequence
ECON 101 – Microeconomics
MATH 114 – College Mathematics and Statistics, MATH 115 – Pre-Calculus, MATH 117 – Pre-Calculus for Scientists and Engineers, MATH 221 – Calculus I or MATH 241 – Analytic Geometry and Calculus A
SPTM 210 – Introduction to Sport Management
BUAD 110 – Basics of Business
Natural sciences & technology breadth course
ENGL 110 – Seminar in Composition
ECON 103 – Macroeconomics
Creative arts & humanities breadth course
PSYC 100 – General Psychology
Natural sciences & technology breadth course with lab (4 credits)
ACCT 207 – Accounting I (Financial)
MISY 160 – Business Computing
MATH 201 – Statistics I or STAT 200 – Basic Statistical Practice
Sociology breadth course
BUAD 301 – Introduction to Marketing
SPTM 311 – Practicum in Sport Management (1 credit)
ACCT 208 – Accounting II (Managerial)
SPTM 313 – Sport & Media
MISY 261 – Business Information Systems
COMM 212 – Oral Communication in Business or HOSP 230 – Executive Presentations & Problem Solving
SPTM 315 – Legal Aspects of Sport Management
SPTM 417 – Sport Marketing
SPTM 418 – Sport Event & Facilities Management
BUAD 309 – Organizational Behavior
FINC 311 – Principles of Finance
SPTM 419 – Ethics & Issues in Sport Management
SPTM 314 – Financial Aspects of Sport Management
Social & behavioral sciences breadth course
SPTM 416 – International Sport Management
History & cultural change breadth course
BUAD 306 – Service & Operations Management
Sport management or hospitality elective
BUAD 441 – Strategic Management
Creative arts & humanities, history & cultural change or foreign language course
SPTM 464 – Sport Management Capstone Internship (9 credits)
Within 6 months of graduating, on average, 87% of Lerner’s sport management graduates are employed (earning a mean starting salary of $41,164) or pursuing further education. For more information on career resources please visit the Lerner Career Services Center.
Some of the top employers of Lerner’s sport management graduates include:
- Philadelphia Eagles (NFL)
- U.S. Marine Corps
- Baltimore Orioles
- Comcast Spectacor
- Philadelphia 76ers
- PGA Tour
Job titles of recent graduates with a sport management degree include:
- Operations Coordinator
- Account Executive
- Inside Sales Consultant
- Sports Writer
- Communications and Events Assistant
Visit the Career Outcomes of Lerner sport management students to see more top employers, job titles, salaries and locations.
- 2021 UD High Index Senior Alexis Garhart - Marketing and sport management double major Alexis Garhart earns University recognition for a combination of a 4.0 GPA with the highest number of earned hours taken in residence at UD.
- What I Love About My Major: Sport Management - In this video, University of Delaware students majoring in sport management share their favorite things about their major.
- The Future Professionals of the Sport Management Industry - Alexis Garhart and Patricia Louis, student leaders of the student group The Future Professionals of the Sport Management Industry at the Lerner College, shared why they joined this group, what makes it unique and more!
- Lerner Builds Community through Nests - UD’s Lerner College Nest program helped new Blue Hens build connections and community with peers, upperclassmen and faculty virtually this semester.
- Lerner Remote Resources - The Lerner College is committed to supporting our community during this uncertain time. Please refer to this page for important resources and contact information.
Contact our administrative team
Learn more about undergraduate admissions requirements, deadlines, tuition and financial aid available to you.