Bachelor of Science in Marketing
The marketing major prepares you to serve a vital role as the liaison between businesses and consumers.
As a marketer, you will identify wants and needs among diverse groups of people, select target markets and develop strategies for new and existing products. You will formulate plans for pricing, distributing and promoting these products and services while utilizing knowledge of branding, advertising, social media and new product development. This work requires careful analysis, creativity and action to tailor products and services to meet consumers’ needs.
If you like coming up with new ideas for products, advertisements and beating the competition, and if you want a career that involves solving challenging problems with analytical thinking and creativity, then marketing is the major for you.
Blue Hen Marketing Club
The Blue Hen Marketing Club provides resources and opportunities for real-world experience to students interested in marketing. This active community hosts various events throughout the year, including a marketing-specific career fair, speakers, panels, field trips and social events to get students more involved in the marketing community.
Other organizations of interest to marketing majors include:
- Alpha Mu Alpha National Honor Society in Marketing
- Blue Hen Investment Club
- Lerner College Trading Center
- Women in Business
- Minority Business Student Association
- Alpha Kappa Psi Business Fraternity
- Delta Sigma Pi Business Fraternity
Honors in Marketing
The honors program at UD offers a scholarly and enriching community that extends well beyond graduation. You’ll enjoy smaller, more challenging classes and the opportunity to engage in research and assume leadership roles.
The honors degree requires:
- All requirements for the B.S. in marketing
- All of the UD requirements for the honors baccalaureate degree
The Honors credits in the major must include at least six credits of BUAD and/or FINC courses. They may include required courses from other Lerner departments.
Lerner marketing faculty members are award-winning researchers and instructors. We publish our research in top journals, receive grants, win awards and honors and serve on the editorial boards of top journals. Our research endeavors enable us to teach cutting-edge material in our marketing classes, and as a result our current students and alumni benefit.
Suggested Course Sequence
ECON 101 – Microeconomics
MATH 221 – Calculus I
Natural sciences & technology breadth course
History & cultural change breadth course
BUAD 110 – Basics of Business
ENGL 110 – Seminar in Composition
Creative arts & humanities breadth course
ECON 103 – Macroeconomics
PSYC 100 – General Psychology
Natural sciences & technology breadth course with lab (4 credits)
ACCT 207 – Accounting I (Financial)
MISY 160 – Business Computing
MATH 201 – Statistics I or STAT 200 – Basic Statistical Practice
Creative arts & humanities breadth course, history & cultural change breadth course or foreign language
ACCT 208 – Accounting II (Managerial)
BUAD 301 – Introduction to Marketing
MATH 202 – Statistics II or MISY 262 – Fundamentals of Business Analytics
MISY 261 – Business Information Systems
COMM 212 – Oral Communications in Business or HOSP 230 – Executive Presentations & Problem Solving
BUAD 302 – Marketing Research
BUAD 306 – Introduction to Service & Operations Management
BUAD 309 – Organizational Behavior
FINC 311 – Principles of Finance
Marketing major course
BUAD 476 – Marketing Analytics
Marketing major course
Social & behavioral sciences breadth course
BUAD 479 – Marketing Strategy for the Firm
International course requirement
BUAD 471 – Advertising and Media Management or BUAD 473 – Consumer Behavior
Creative arts & humanities, history & cultural change, or foreign language
ACCT 352 – Law & Social Issues in Business
BUAD 441 – Strategic Management
Social & behavioral sciences breadth course
After graduating in 2019, 95% of Lerner’s marketing graduates were employed (earning a mean starting salary of $49,389) or pursuing further education. For more information on career resources please visit the Lerner Career Services Center.
Some of the top employers of Lerner’s marketing graduates include:
- Insight Global
Job titles of recent graduates with a marketing degree include:
- Event Coordinator
- Account Manager
- Media Planner
- Sales Representative
- Leadership/Management Development Program Associate
- Marketing Analyst
Visit the Career Outcomes of Lerner marketing students to see more top employers, job titles, salaries and locations.
Alison Steele, Class of 2012, JP Morgan Chase
“As a marketing major at the University of Delaware I enjoyed learning in small classes and appreciated the personal relationships I was able to have with my professors. The emphasis on hands-on learning through classroom activities and internship opportunities provided me with the skills and experience employers and graduate schools are looking for.”
Eric Collins, Class of 2011, Time Inc.
“My experience as a University of Delaware marketing major was the perfect blend of engaging classroom discussion, caring professors who were always there to lend insight, and exposure to emerging business trends and technologies. The case studies that I worked on provided excellent topics for interview discussion, and allowed me to show potential employers that I was able to apply the concepts I had learned.”
- My Summer Internship: Grace Delmastro - Grace Delmastro, a Class of 2021 marketing major with minors in management information systems and advertising, spent her summer working with CVS Health/Aetna as a strategic government marketing intern.
- My Summer Internship: Deborah Olaoye - Deborah Olaoye, a Class of 2021 management information systems and marketing double major, spent her summer working as an information technology support analyst at W.L. Gore and Associates.
- My Summer Internship: Carl Stewart - Carl Stewart, a Class of 2023 marketing and sport management double major, spent his summer taking enriching courses to expand upon his knowledge in leadership.
- My Summer Internship: Carly Cooper - Carly Cooper, a Class of 2022 marketing and management double major with a minor in professional selling and sales management, spent her summer working remotely for Graham Media Partners.
- Lerner Remote Resources - The Lerner College is committed to supporting our community during this uncertain time. Please refer to this page for important resources and contact information.
Learn more about undergraduate admissions requirements, deadlines, tuition and financial aid available to you.