Business Analytics (B.S.)
Streams of information flow from diverse sources like online transactions, mobile apps, sensors, videos and social media. Companies need individuals to transform this vast reservoir of data into a competitive edge, and this is where business analytics majors excel. Not only are they adept at handling data but they’re also skilled communicators, effectively translating complex insights for their entire team.
Business analytics majors master data collection, cleaning and analysis, and their insights allow organizations to make data-driven decisions. Business Analytics majors are trained in performing descriptive analyses, assessing historical data and trends; predictive analyses, predicting future outcomes; and prescriptive analyses, offering recommendations for operational enhancement.
The B.S. in business analytics is a STEM-designated degree program and provides international students with 36 months of Optional Practical Training.
The business analytics major teaches you about the theories and methods of analyzing large volumes of data. You will learn how to leverage data to gain competitive advantages and strategic insights in today’s business world. The major focuses on the following critical skill areas:
- Import and pre-process data
- Model and evaluate data
- Visualize and communicate the results
STEM OPT Program
The B.S. in business analytics degree is a STEM-designated degree program and provides international students 24 months of OPT (Optional Practical Training) in addition to the original 12 months.
Suggested Course Sequence
All courses 3 credits unless stated otherwise.
As part of the business analytics major, you will choose a concentration, which focuses on one aspect of business. You will then apply analytics to that concentration. Based on your interests and career goals, choose from:
- Management Information Systems
- Operations Management
A degree in business analytics will prepare you to work in a wide variety of industries, in jobs such as:
- Data analyst
- Business analyst
- Business systems analyst
- Process improvement analyst
- Technical analyst
- What is an Accelerated 4+1 Program? - 4+1 programs jumpstart the careers of undergraduates considering a graduate degree. Find out if a 4+1 is right for you.
- Lerner College Business, Economics Programs Ranked Among Nation’s Best - Lerner's undergraduate business program ranked No. 84, undergraduate economics program ranked No. 99 in latest rankings.
- My Summer Internship: Marina Simunek - Simunek, class of 2024 management information systems and business analytics double major, spent her summer as a software engineer with Bank of America.
- My Summer Internship: Ansley Blanchard - Blanchard, class of 2024 honors marketing and business analytics double major, spent her summer as a marketing analytics intern at The Chemours Company.
- My Summer Internship: Michal Biben - Biben, class of 2024 business analytics major with a minor in management information systems, spent his summer as a portfolio compliance intern with BlackRock.
Learn more about undergraduate admissions requirements, deadlines, tuition and financial aid available to you.
Explore popular interdepartmental areas of study.
This STEM-designated program provides international students 24 months of OPT (Optional Practical Training) in addition to the original 12 months.
Business fraternities at Lerner offer professional development, scholarships, service opportunities, and more.